Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

high efficiency boilers

Options
for a fact that there is not a conventional oil burner on the oil model....kpc

Comments

• jersey devil
    jersey devil Member Posts: 7
    Options
    high efficiency boilers

I am replacing a 160,000btu burnam with 2 modulating high efficieny boilers.It is a lg house with cast iron rads being split into 2 apts.My supplier suggests quietside boilers.Any thoughts on these boilers? Any one install mod boiler with old lg rads? How about the condensate water,can it be run into a regular condensate pump or straight to the drain ?Treated water? Any help would be appreciatted.I have installed many boiler jobs old school,Never had one of these high efficiency jobs.
  • Joe_13
    Joe_13 Member Posts: 201
    Options

I've never heard of this boiler. {Probably why you got no response on your other post.) Is quietside the manufacturer or model?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Boilers

You should look at the Munchkin boiler from Heat Transfer. They can offer you a list of trained dealers in your area.
    I know these units work very well. They have a 140,000 BTU
    unit that modulates down to 46,000. 92% AFUE.call 508-763-8071
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    I think

they are made in Korea.

I seem to remember someone posting here about them, but whether it was good or bad I do not remember.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    would this be an ...

oil or gas boiler set up? Ouietside makes them for both.... I have heard some ok things about it...If your supplier is "pushing" this unit are there other contractors that they have sold this unit to? What are their experiences? There are many good choices in gas Munchkin,weil-Mclain,Buderus,Smith....Try staging those... kpc
  • Joe_13
    Joe_13 Member Posts: 201
    Options
    FYI

The quietside website is a company that resells other 3rd party equipment like Samsung A/C's. Since the boiler manufacturer does not have an actual office here in the US, how easy do you think it's going to be to get parts? The tankless HWH have electronic ignition and controls that are complicated and might need support and replacements. The oil fired Combo boilers look like they just have a tankless coil since there's no tank size specs, just GPM rates. No mention of standard Beckett, Carlin, etc burners. Where's a tech gonna find parts for these things?
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    Why 2 boilers?

So you can pass the fuel cost to the tenant? Why not simplify the system and still pass on the fuel costs?

Use a good heat loss to determine what it will cost to heat the building. That's where everything starts, the heat loss. Is the 160K actually what you need? Once you've determined what the entire building needs for heat it's a simple matter to figure what it will cost to heat. Divide it between the two apartments and add it to the rent. Tell the renters that the heat and hot water cost is included in your rental price.

Now set up the system like this. Any high efficiency (condensing) boiler will handle being reset, water temp wise, right down to room temp. By setting your reset curve just ahead of the building heat loss you can limit the amount of fuel the renter can use because the water temp actully dictates what temp the building gets to, not the thermostat on the wall. Use an indirect tank to supply both apartments with domestic and you have a highly efficient system. I'm leaving out a lot of piping and control details here but the main thing is by resetting the water temp you can control how much heat is actually available. Doing this eliminates the "windows open,thermostat cranked,10 degrees outside" syndrome that I see so often in apartments and rental houses.

I'd use a Vitodens or a Munchkin as a basis for the system. Both have modulating burner output. Not familiar with Munchkins reset control but Viessmann's is top drawer.
    (I'm not going to get familiar with it the way things stand either but that's another story)

I know of one job where the old boiler was hooked to Cast Iron rads and was replaced by a Vitodens. Along with that each rad received it's own TRV. To make a long story short the HO's fuel cost last winter dropped by a tick or two over 40%.

Thnik outside the box!!
This discussion has been closed.