Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Redwood

Options
The other day i was asked to fix a leak on a type "M" copper pipe. I found the leak and it was where the pipe was straped to the redwood. This was a copper strap and the pin hole leak was where the pipe came in contact with the redwood on the top side of the pipe. Will redwood cause this reaction? love to get your input, thanks, Mike

Comments

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    I would say

Any wood "could" cause that reaction. I have seen copper tubing pushed into a hole that was very tight, and leak right there. More than likly the expansion and contraction, coupled with the condesation would reacte with the resins in the wood would attack the copper.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Conflicting answers

Copper is one of the "approved" fasteners for redwood, meaning it doesn't cause black marks.

Redwood tannins are acid.

Soft, acid water at high velocity [seems] to be one of the suspects in "pinhole" problems with copper plumbing systems.

Rain is soft and slightly acid but copper roofs and gutters are among the longest lasting of such components.

Copper "corrosion strips" are regularly used on wood roofs to prevent/slow the formation of moss/algae etc. on the roof.

Something "tells" me that the problem might be related to trapped water leaching excess tannins from the wood where the tube is held is contact with the under side of the decking. I'd [almost] wager that stand-off type attachment would eliminate the problem.

This discussion has been closed.