Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How do you guys handle this?

Options
robert griggs
robert griggs Member Posts: 65
giving prices over the phone? I do not like to do this, but lately I have been getting a lot of calls for things where people only want to know the price.

I try not to discuss price, and even have offered to come out for a free estimate, but then the people insist on knowing a price range for the work. I tell them that it is necessary to see the work in order to get an accurate price range, but many of them are persistent in only wanting the price. The few who I have given prices to never call back.

I assume lots of people have this problem, and was wondering how you handled it.

Thanks for your help.

R. Griggs

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    personally......

I think you handled it very well....

Noel
  • Terry_4
    Terry_4 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    I get this everyday also

and for those who are too persistent for their own good, I quote them a range of retail prices for boilers, and a retail lineal footage price for pex or baseboard, and tell them there will be piping, valves, chimney, etc.... Then I let them do the math. So far this has satisfied them without "locking us in" to a price. About half of them call back for more info, or bring their plans in, and on most of those we end up doing the work. The other half I figure we're better off without anyway. Let the other guys get tied up with them.

Terry
  • Heatermon
    Heatermon Member Posts: 119
    Options
    Great question

This is our ultimate dilema and it sometimes can be a "no win" situation. First off, price is either a scorecard or a qualifier. People want to know the price to be able to compare it to another's, or they think a job is worth (X), or they want to spend (X) on this purcahase and want to know if this can be realistically accomplished. Either way, we are put on the spot and risk losing a sale or worse yet, looking like a thief or idiot when the reality of the situation doesn't come off as we think it should. Whether it be the customer's fault for sugar coating the request or ours for envisioning a simple task that turns complicated, it doesn't matter, we are the ones that look bad. That is why you must be very carefull before giving out a price. We handle price requests like this:

If you are calling for a repair request, we charge (x) for an evaluation (service call). We also request a "Not to exceed" figure that the customer is willing to pay if we can fix the problem and if above, we would give a written estimate for approval. The Not to exceed limits tell the customer "We prefer not to have your business unless you are willing to spend this amount for our services without question." This eliminates the "just want a free estimate" people from wasting your time. Now, if the request is for a common job that you do all the time (Our business, for example, installs water heaters) then you may have a price book that can be quoted for all to know. However, before giving that price out, you must spend so much time explaining "what you are going to get for it", that by the time they hear the price, the customer is ready to buy it based on the value of the benefits they are getting, rather than just the number. This is called salesmanship, and we have to get better at it to keep in business today. We also have to give a better value. Things that the next guy won't or can't give the customer. It can be something as simple as guaranteeing to showing up on time or the service call is free, or more involved like an extended warranty. Either way, it should be something that is valuable to the customer and the other guys aren't doing. And another thing, don't be afraid to tell people what your rates, charges, fees, or whatever you want to call them are. I know people that brag about what they charge clients because they are that valuable. Why aren't we doing the same thing? Why do we think we have to be the "low guy" to get work today? We should be able to charge higher rates as long as we are also giving valuable services to go along with them. Quit worrying about the price and start putting more emphasis on what your giving them for it. Anyway, that's my 2 cents for today.

Heatermon

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    Maybe it's

your competition "mystery shopping" you!

Pricing over the phone is a lose, lose situation.

If they REALLY want to know the cost of repair, without a trip charge, have them bring the item to your shop!

That's how my doctor and dentist work. Hard to get price quotes from them over the phone. The troubleshooting phase is as important as the repair.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • John@Reliable_4
    John@Reliable_4 Member Posts: 101
    Options
    Simple,

I tell people it's not fair to them or me with out seeing firsthand. Most understand this, the others o'well have a nice day!
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    BINGO H.R.

You've hit the nail on the head . Too many variables involved to quote without looking at a job.

If they don't want to pay the "look/see fee", do WE want them as a customer anyway ? Quality is priceless, and what we sell is comfort and piece of mind. Someone who is shopping price usually gets what they pay for, nothing more. In most cases , this isn't someone I want to work for.Chris
  • Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Options
    Most people

that call over the phone looking for prices aren't my target customers. My target customers are the ones who appreciate a job well done and value quality. Usually people I've done work for before or a referal from their familys or friends. I've been in business 17 years now and have not had to advertise for the last 14. Word of mouth is strong when you can deliver the goods and are fair to the customers and yourself. I will give a price or range of prices over the phone with the caveat that I will not lock in until I see the job. If there are complications that will raise the price we discuss it. If they don't want to proceed, fine, I know there are others that need me and I'm on my way.

• Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    You get very good at smelling these folks a mile away

and what I do is give them such a wide range, that they don't know what to think. If the person is decent and respectful and seems like they might be legit, I'll tighten up the range. We do free estimates only for steady, loyal customers, but you'd be surprised how many people will pay 75 -100 bucks for a legit contractor that shows up and returns calls. And, our success rate in getting the job - of those paid estimates is about 95%. md

This discussion has been closed.