Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Glowcore Boilers

Options
What kind of problems have any of you had with Glowcore? Have you been able to get factory representation to solve problems?

If you would please give me anything you have done to solve problems with these in the past. I have a client who called me today about an ongoing problem with GlowCore and frequent lockouts do to poor flame rectification. They have replaced several igniters and the problem persists. Everything checkd out as far as combustion and electrically. All the normal things we do have been done. It has been my experience with these that they end up getting removed and replaced by a more reliable system. Any input would be appreciated. I am very busy and have not been able to look at this system. The service company working on it is very reliable and I have walked them through procedures several times. This is in a new home worth over a million dollars and they use this for their domestic hot water.

Several calls to GlowCore have produced no results. They also have not returned calls to them from the homeowner.

Anyone from GlowCore reading this post please get in touch with me so we can help this customer solve their problem.

Comments

• Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    Glowcore

I've only worked on one of them; about 5 years ago we had to replace the heat exchanger. The manufacturer was pretty responsive and sent us a free one since it was still covered under warranty.

The owner continued having problems with the system and boiler after we replaced the HX; I told him I didn't think it was worth spending money to fix it and to invest in a reliable boiler. We replaced it with a Monitor two years ago and just replaced the indirect with a Viessmann Vitocell 300 this week.

This is a picture of the old Glowcore.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Steve Miller
    Steve Miller Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Glowcore

The problem sounds like a clogged heat exchanger. It's probably bad if they haven't cleaned it as part of a maintenance program and still, I've seen the refractory material at the bottom drop and clog the exhaust. You could try cleaning it by plugging the condensate trap and remove the burner and pour a mild solution of muratic acid into the heat exchanger cannister and let it sit for about 15 minutes and then neutralize it and flush it out. You will probably need a burner gasket to reinstall the burner. I'd recommend replacing it with something you're familiar with and have good support from the factory. We have replaced the heat exchanger for people not wanting to fork out money for a new boiler. I don't have the phone number available now, it's at the office, but I've never had a problem talking to anyone at Glowcore.

Steve M.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks Steve

I hear what you are saying. This unit however is not even a year old. The customer would be really upset if the service guy started recommending cleaning it this soon.

If you can Monday get me that phone number and if possible a name to speak to. The people I am getting do not seem to know what they are doing.

I have worked a several of these and have replaced one heat exchanger. I have however replaced five of them with new boilers when they (the GlowCores) were not even two years old.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Been there, done that!

Had one in my home. Had problems. Couldn't get any service from the factory. Got to meet Dan through that problem period, so - all in all - it worked out for the best.

A Burnham Revolution replaced that little beastie & has been very reliable. An Opus betta unit joined up a few years later & now a Munchkin is joining the boiler group in my home test lab. The MZ is a damn fine gem of a boiler too! We installed an MZ propane fired unit in a very remote job site (Lighthouse Radiant job from P&M mag), which is a 3.5 hour trip each way & have had not one single problem to date (survived this past winter). The MZ folks left me alone in their test lab - with tools - and I had an opportunity to tinker with all of their gear - including the modulating version and their condensing oil-fired unit. You could tell where I'd been from the drool! The factory was clean enough to eat off of the floor.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.