Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Whole house filter

Options
Bryan_5
Bryan_5 Member Posts: 270
My wife has been after me for a while to put in a whole house water filter. I realize that this is slightly off topic. But they dont call you wet heads for nothing. I have a couple of questions. First off we recently had a water softner installed and that has made a huge difference in our water. BTW we have a well. But we do have iron in our water its not bad and I dont notice it in the taste of the water. So what I would like to know is. Do these things actually work? Are they worth the hassle of changing filters? Do they affect the flow of water to the different floors? I would buy one with the highest flow rate I could find but is it enough? Any recomendations on brand names? Or any to stay away from? Your thoughts on this is appreciated.
Bryan

Comments

• Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    Filters

I would work with the main water softener person in your area, The filters work and if properly sized don't restrict flow too much, I have seen 2 or 3 filters in series depending on what the water test shows. The reverse osmosis filter should be last in line to extend it's life. Don't waste them though, I have also seen the filters ahead of the outside sill cocks, you may want them ahead of the water softener with the kitchen sink and fridge water ahead of the softener, real cooks don't like soft water for cooking and most of us need some minerals to keep healthy. Drinking only distilled water is unhealthy.
  • Jacob Myron_10
    Jacob Myron_10 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Whole house water filters

When purchasing a whole house wter filter keep in mind the filters capacity.

Many retailers sell water filters that will supply 4 GPM at a 40 psi inlet pressure.

What you need to get is something that will supply no less than 8 gpm. Use activated carbon filters to remove odor and taste. The normal filter medium removes particles up to 10 microns.

Find out the size of the free floating particles that you have in your water and if you need to remove them you can get filters as low as 5 microns.

Remember the finer the filter medium the sooner it will clog.

Or you can put filter at point of use if that makes more sense for your application.

Jake
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Grit filter

If taste & odor aren't a problem, you could take a look at our F76S whole house filter. It automatically removes sand, rust or other particles, and automatically flushes them out when the optional MV876 auto backwash control is installed. No element to replace. Grit in well water will eventually dull or remove the shine and/or color from baths and sinks. Visit www.sparco-inc.com or www.honeywell.com
    These are available only thru Honeywell distributors.
  • Don_11
    Don_11 Member Posts: 16
    Options

There are manufacturers such as Cuno that will take a water sample from you and make a recommendation on what you should use. You should get a filter that is suited for your specific needs.
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Iron

Most water softeners will remove small amounts of iron. Once you get into the higher concentrations you are most likely looking at a chemical injection system.

A whole house filter will remove sediment, and I REALLY like the Honeywell filter. These can add life to your softening equpiment as well.

If you get rust stains on clothes that have been washed with a "whitener" a.k.a., bleach, then you may have a more serious iron problem.

What specific problem are you trying to solve?

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Bryan_5
    Bryan_5 Member Posts: 270
    Options

Thanks for the info, I will have the water tested. When they put the softner in they tested the water and it was mostly just hard about a 22. He wasnt to concerned about anything else. The main purpose of the filter would be to remove sediment from the water. Its not bad but it still needs to be taken care of. We spent a pile of cash on fixtures and I certainly dont want to have to replace them anytime soon. We had terribly hard water and the softner took care of that. We have the kitchen and hose already seperated from the softner so it sounds like that would be the way to keep it set up with the filter as well. Thanks again
    Bryan
This discussion has been closed.