Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Noisy Water Meter (off topic)

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,198
the noise is only heard when flowing large GPM, like a hose bib. Is it noisey under low flow? They may have put in a smaller capacity meter also, perhaps a 5/8", maybe spinning fairly fast.

Meters are built with some "slop" to allow them to pass some particles, most are merely a wobble plate mechanism. Maybe a plastic meter would be less prone to noise transmission??

hot rod
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• Patchogue Phil_12
    Patchogue Phil_12 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Noisy Water Meter (OT)

Been hearing a perfect tempo tap tap tap noise in my bathroom last few days. Figured out it only happens when water is running somewhere else in house (like washer machine or sprinklers).

After crawling around in crawlspace traced the noise to the water main (which comes up under the bathroom where I heard the noise). Went outside to the water meter "vault" and saw a new cover with a plastic doohickey on it. Opened it up and found a new water meter with a wire lead to the lid. Must be a remote meter reader.

When the water runs, this new meter clacks LOUD like a Model T!! Besides it being slightly annoying, is it supposed to be so noisy? I never heard the old one, and I have looked into the vault before.
  • Andy N._3
    Andy N._3 Member Posts: 11
    Options

Ahhh the suttle click click click of the water meter to help lull you off to sleep. Many of the older meters I come across have this same glitch. I would either call the city and let them know you are not happy with the noise, or isolate the meter from the main with a vibration eliminator.

Just my opinion,
    Andy N.
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    I wonder

if a large water hammer arrestor placed near the meter would do any good ? Have heard that noise a lot over the years!
  • Patchogue Phil_12
    Options
    noisy times

Even if the sink faucet is running just enough to wash your hands, you can hear the tap. Altho it is slower than when the sprinkler is on or the washer is filling. The pattern changes too when slower flow. Tap...tap...tap.. tappity tap...tap...tap maybe it's a drum cadence?
  • Andy N._3
    Andy N._3 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    maybe

maybe its morse code. is your plumbing system trying to tell you something? At least you will be able to tell if you forgot to turn off the sprinkler, or if you have a leaky ball cock.

just kidding around,
    Andy
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,198
    Options
    Could be

just the type of meter or maybe has something lodged in the housing. Ask the city to replace it,would be a simple first step. Maybe it is in the sending unit and not the meter. Any neighbors with the same noise?

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Patchogue Phil_12
    Options
    Morse Code

I looked for anyone trapped in the crawl space or frogs in the meter vault!

I'll ask one of my neighbors if their new meter makes noise too, next time I see them.

It will be "interesting" to see how the water co. handles the meter reading change on my nex bill. I know the reading from my last bill, but not on the day they switched to a new "odometer" starting at "00000".

This discussion has been closed.