Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rotary Hammer

Options
Dale
Dale Member Posts: 1,317
For the larger holes like 1 1/2 for gas pipe through 8" concrete I really like the spline drive Bosch. I don't core drill we sub that out as a 4 inch hole through a commercial bld should be neat. For smaller work I use a DeWalt 18 volt portable hammer drill, amazing how many holes on one charge. I still use my old skill multi tool for 3/16 handi box anchors. I too would rent what you are thinking of and give them a shot.

Comments

• Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Options
    Shopping for a new

rotary hammer. Our old one is wearing out. It's a big old Bosch that is 20 years old.We use ours for holes for A/C line sets and chiseling. What do you guys use? What do you recommend? What features do you find usefull. Where can I find it at a reasonable price. Thanks for any input. WW

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Tony_8
    Tony_8 Member Posts: 608
    Options
    Bosch

I love my spline drive. NO problems since new in '96. Use it for same stuff you do. Was gonna buy a Milwaukee but that guy didn't want to deal that day and thought he could wait me out. He still is, but he's out of business too.
  • Joe Furfaro
    Joe Furfaro Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Rotary Hammer

I am an electrical contractor (and a fan of hydronic heat)
    I have been drilling and chipping holes for the past 25 years and in my experience nothing carries more value than the Hilti products. Check them out. They do cost a bit more, but if your guys show them a little respect they will last forever.
  • TGO_25
    TGO_25 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I'd go

with Hilti. Great product and staff - salespeople will visit you at your shop or on a jobsite. I have quite a few of their powertools and never a problem with any. A combihammer may be just what you need.
    Hope this helps
  • jeff_13
    jeff_13 Member Posts: 12
    Options

yes to hility
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Depends on what

the main use is. Hammer drills are best for fast drilling with small sized bits. Generally two speed motors with speeds up to 2500 rpm. I have a Dewalt that easily drills up to 1/2" in concrete. These tools usually have a regular chuck. Great for anchors and all thread or unistrut mounting to concrete. Most can be used as regular drill motors with the "hammer" feature switched off.

Next would be a roto hammer. Usually much larger and heavier, usually spline drive or SDS chuck, and able to drill 1-1/2- 2" with a carbide twist bit. A much better choice if you do some chipping or light demo work. I like my Bosch but the green Hitiachi look real nice right now. Get one with a soft start feature! Core bits ( a concrete hole saw really) will take this tool up to 4" or more but stress the tool and shorten the life.

For mainly demo or breaking, a demo hammer is best. The Bosch Brute is still king, in my book, for an electric unit. I rent as needed, as this is a grand or more to purchase!

When the going gets real tough, hire a concrete cutting and coring company. Nothing beats an air breaker and hydraulic saw for serious demo work. Same for multiple large diameter holes. A young, strong, trained operator is another plus of subbing it out :)

Try www.jlconline.com for some comparison tests.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • J.C.A._4
    J.C.A._4 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hammerdrill,

I've got an array to be jealous of. My father gave me a 3/8ths Hilte drill hammer. It is about 40 years old and still going strong . All the contractors laugh , but I don't kill myself hoisting a 30 lb. tool for drilling anchor holes for FandM rings !(about 7 pounds, and will drill small holes all day STILL!)The only drawback is , it IS only a drill/hammerdrill. It doesn't do just hammering.
    The next step is a Medium Hilte, Great for holes up to 3/4" , nice for "connect the dots drillig" and a bit of an animal when it bite something hard. Tries to break your wrist real quick if you don't know when to stop .

Today, we used the Hatachi hammerdrill to get a hole in a foundation for a Sideshot powerventer. Big Green is a true animal!Nicknamed "the Widowmaker", it will break your arm in a minute if you don't let go . Up to 2" bits available, and effortlessly cuts through the toughest of foundations.

I can't say any one product is better than the other . I know that the ones I use do the job for me without much complaining. Shop around and test. Ask the sellers if they have a "tester" for you to take and use for a job. Best of luck Wayne. Chris
  • Tony Conner
    Tony Conner Member Posts: 549
    Options
    We Use...

...Milwaukee Hawks. Nice for overhead work - you can drill 5/8" holes, overhead, for 1/2" rod anchors pretty much all day, and not feel like someone has beaten you with a shovel. It's got an SDS drive, and will take let you drill holes to 1-1/2". It'll take core bits too, but I can't remember how big (don't do much of that) - 3-1/2" I think. For something as small & light as it is, it does a nice job on concrete.

See if you can borrow a couple of different makes for a day to try. If nothing else, rent 'em for a day and see which one you like.
  • John Felciano
    John Felciano Member Posts: 411
    Options
    Hilti

is my choice for concrete drilling and chipping.We have a TE92 for the big holes and chipping.It's been going strong for 13 years and my guys aren't always as nice to my tools as I'd like them to be.Hilti is a little pricey but There a good company and stand behind their products.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Bill Barrett
    Bill Barrett Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Hilti

Hilti hands down!!!
  • Steve Minnich_1
    Steve Minnich_1 Member Posts: 127
    Options
    Bosch #2

Been using it for years and it walks through stone like a hot knife through butter.

Steve Minnich, Radiant Comfort Systems(aka Tinman)

This discussion has been closed.