Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

tank less water heater

Options
I have been hearing about tankless water heaters that can be installed in homes with scorched air heating. How does that work?

Comments

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

They heat water "on the fly" so to speak. All I've heard of are electric or gas.

They are used both as "point of use" appliances and for entire systems. They have been in common use in Europe for decades but the Americans (military officers and a telecommunications expert) I know who lived with them there weren't at all pleased with the performance--BUT that was a number of years ago.

They can definitely save energy as they do not store hot water, only producing it as needed. While the supply is endless the flow rate is anything but...

While they may produce a sufficient volume of water for a reasonably hot shower, appliances like clothes washers and dishwashers are another matter altogether as their solenoid valves have rapid flow. European appliances typically heat (or at least boost) their own hot water water. Some American dishwashers now boost water temp with ALL fills (as opposed to just the final rinse) but I've yet to see an American clothes washer that boosts temperature.

The electric models with higher flow rates take some SERIOUS amperage--often more than available (considering other loads) in an existing house.

I think they gas models have seen some fairly recent, big improvements in volume of flow.

Check them out, but be aware of their limitations and make CERTAIN you examine flow and temperature rise to ensure it is suitable.

• NEIL MANSKE
    NEIL MANSKE Member Posts: 2
    Options
    THANKS

THANKS FOR THE INFO, MIKE. MY WIFE SAW THIS ADVERTISED ON THE NET AND IT SOUNDED TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE WITHOUT A BOILER AVAILABLE.
  • MikeTH
    MikeTH Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Tankless water heater

Hi Neil,
    If you are looking for a combo system with seperate heat exchangers for domestic H2O and another to run an air handler for your scorched air take a look at the Baxi Luna 310 Fi on our web site.
    Mike is correct when he says you should be mindfull of the temperature rise of the domestic H2O at greater flow rates, the Luna will deliver 3.3 gpm with a 77* temp rise; this will be enough flow to operate two showers with watersaver shower outlets at the same time. The washing machine and dishwasher will always be a problem for "instantaneous" water heaters because these appliances introduce lower volumes of water at a time. With the heaters having a start up cycle, by the time a washing machine fill valve has opened and closed again you my have put cold water in to the wash not hot water, this can be overcome with a recic line or a small buffer tank.
    We have distribution in your area if you need to talk to someone about this, you can get details from the web site.

Mike
This discussion has been closed.