Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

panel rads

Options
Floyd_4
Floyd_4 Member Posts: 1
Have seen some thoughts on piping, etc.. in the past and now have a chance to do a system using panel radiators..
Are they hot to the touch when operating??? Will they operate effectively at low temps.??? Am trying to remeber, but i think I have seen posts about piping them with small dia. pex. I thought I had some stuff saved.. but lost it.. i think when we all had to puke our cookies.....

I would have about 20 of these on a system with TRV's, in a rather large building... how would you setup the piping???

What brands are best here.... have acess to Runtal and Myson, is there a difference, and are there others that i should look for???

Am just trying to finalize my thoughts on how to develop this sytem....

Thanks!!! for any and all input.

Floyd

Comments

• Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Hey Floyd!

The panel rads will get as hot as the water you run through them.

They can operate efficiently with lower water temps, but you will have to take that into consideration when you size them. Lower temps mean larger rads.

We have been using Buderus panels with great success. We pipe them in a two pipe, reverse return configuration with a pressure differential valve at the end of the mains.

Our control strategy has been constant circulation when the outdoor temp hits 60* and we reset the cicuit temp.

If and when I build a home, you can bet that I will have panel rads. WHAT A SYSTEM!!!!!

Good luck!

Mark H

I was not aware that Runtal made panel rads, I thought they only made towel warmers and baseboard. I have never used Myson so I can't speak about them.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    I have them in my house...

and it is a one pipe system. We've piped them parallel reverse return, parallel direct return and have use long running manifolds, and long running supply and return lines to Wirsbo or Kitec distribution manifolds.

They're pretty tough and kinda hard to screw up. Figure on a 30 to 40 degree delta T (slow flow rates) , set the system up for continuous circ with outdoor reset and get ready for wall to wall comfort.

As for brands, I've used Buderus in my own home and many customers, but find the Dianorms to be of excellent quality and reasonably priced. With the DiaNorm panel you can use Oventrop TRV's and get excellent results with fantastic reliability.

There are other lower cost panel radiators out there that are knock off wannabe's to the German radiators, but there ain't nothing quite like a good German panel radiator to keep your customers warm and comfy.

ME
This discussion has been closed.