Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating a dog kennel

Options
Art Pittaway
Art Pittaway Member Posts: 230
they are all a little different. A collie and a chiauua(sp) will have different needs. The main reason is sanitation, a warm floor is dry, especially when it's a damp spring. Did a small vet and kennel, main aisle with enclosures on each side. Tube was laid down main aisle and half way through each stall. Plumbing drains were at the back of each stall. Heat loss calc showed plenty of heat for building, each enclosure had a door out the back to outside fenced area which was snow melted only. Three zones, heat in the building and snow melt on each side. The building was set so one side snow melt got sun and the other didn't, so separate control for each side. Let the sun do it's part of the heating.
Hogs are another story, keep mama cool and have a hot spot for the the little piglets. They all flock to that spot after dinner and it keeps them from being under mom when she rolls over.

Comments

• Flag
    Flag Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Dog kennel

Hey guys has anyone put radiant under dog kennels before? I have not. I've heard that you need to leave a cool spot, but the floor is 7'x30' and the dog kennels take up 4'all the way across. I have not done a heat loss yet but I have a feeling that I will not have enough floor space to heat this area. Has anyone done this before? The radiant will be in a slab. I know this is not a great deal of info but was just wondering if anyone has had experience with this type of application. Thanks in advance.
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    Finished one last night!

Just finished the tubing installation last night. In the kennel runways, I kept a 4' wide section (running across the runways) free of tubing to create that cool zone. The area is large enough that the impact on water temperature for the remaining floor was minimal.

These are relatively small dogs (Dingos), which is why we settled on a 4' strip across the runways. You might need to adjust that width if larger animals will be housed.

It'll be interesting to see if they find this zone and settle in - all lined up in a neat row.

On the other hand, the two-toed tree sloth gets a warm zone & we're thinking of building him a radiant tree. He was on Late Night with Conan O'Brian a few weeks ago!

The Roos and Wallabies will now have warm feets too(G). So will the Bearcats, raptors, fox and several very ill tempered fellows who would take a finger just for an appetizer - the buggers hiss like crazy when you touch their clawed feet that are sticking through the enclosure's wire - definately an I don't want to play with you attitude.

We had visitors last night too - about 40 vultures dropped in to pester the dogs (they've made a game of it & stop every night). That's a very stong incentive to keep in motion(G).

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • bill clinton_3
    bill clinton_3 Member Posts: 111
    Options
    kennels

We did a kennel a few years ago. Didn't worry about heating the building, just having a slab area at 70 degrees. Buried a floor sensor and ran it to setpoint control. Dogs quite happy.

Bill
  • John Felciano
    John Felciano Member Posts: 411
    Options
    Hey Steve

The very first radiant I did,12 years ago was a dog kennel.We did the entire floor and the owner put in pallets and bedding to give the dogs a place off the floor.Some dogs seem to prefer sleeping on the heated floor and others like to get off it.

We just finished another much bigger kennel (70 pods) and did much the same thing.This owner has been working with dogs for many years and wasn't at all concerned about the heated floor causing any discomfort to dogs.

Just watch your heatloss,all those little doggie doors can add up, especialy if the dogs are allowed to go in and out at will.There was a big difference in the heatloss between quality doors and the cheap ones.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Jed_2
    Jed_2 Member Posts: 781
    Options
    Pallets

Yes, I layed one out a couple years ago. It was very small(10 pens on either side of a central walkway). Kennel area was about 15x26. Dual swing doors to outside pen(shed roof, no SM required here). Used 2 slab sensors with a 500 Series T'stat for averaging(with max floor temp limits) and air sensing. Pallets and bedding were used for "dog's choice". Last time I talked about it with the Contractor, he indicated all was fine. That was before this past "chilly" Winter. He hasn't complained, so therefore, I conclude all is still fine.

At the time I did do some research, and while my memory isn't what it used to be, I think I checked afew kennel sites and such. It's out there for access. The Contractor did tell me in Maine, they wanted slab sensing with limits.

So far, so good.

Hope this helps.

Jed
This discussion has been closed.