Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

maintaining hydronic radiant in cement floor

Options
George_10
George_10 Member Posts: 580
Issues of corrosion and scaling can be addressed with the use of a quality water treatment program. Untreated systems can experience major problems due to corrosion. Pumps can fail earlier as well as boilers or other components mainly due to oxygen. The problem of scaling is usually seen in systems that contain high amounts of calcium initially or that have leaks that constantly make-up "new" water that contains additional calcium. When calcium levels get to high to remain in solution they "plate out" on heat exchange surfaces robbing valuable energy dollars. For information about hydronic treatment products and cleaners you can check out www.rhomarwater.com/products/ or feel free to email me at anytime.
Scott

Comments

• Julie_2
    Julie_2 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    hydronic heating within cement floor

My contractor has recommended hydronic radiant floor heat for the basement in our new home, instead of a second furnace. I've seen rave reviews by consumers on this type of heat, but it is very new and therefore unproven in our area (southeast Idaho--a predominantly cold weather climate). I am uneasy about the possibility of some kind of eventual fissure or corrosion or blockage in the tubing embedded in the cement--if a problem develops how can you possibly locate and fix it? A large cement floor is certain to crack in places over time. Wouldn't that cause problems with the tubing? Also, we have very hard water--mightn't it eventually occlude the tubing?
  • chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    Options
    Radiant in a slab

Julie,

Radiant tubing in a slab is not a new method of heating, It may be new to your area, but it is not new. The cracking of the cement can be addressed by control cuts, and if the tubing is installed according to instructions, there is a method to deal with this. As far as the hard water, you could just use distilled water to fill the system, or, there are additives designed to "conditon" the water so that this is not an issue.

If you have questions about the slab installation, you can check www.wirsbo.com, they might be able to help you out. I know someone posted the web site for the additives, but I dont have it off hand, anyone out there know it? I think HotRod might have it.

Chuck Shaw
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    No problem

The only reason I would consider not using the system is if you plan to let the house go unheated where it would freeze. You can use antifreeze but it MUST be maintained. I would plan a 12" thick basement floor and even if you were without power for a week the house would still be warm. If you're going to do the radiant do the baths and kitchen floor also, at least put the tubing in or the comparison will make you want to tear up or staple up.
This discussion has been closed.