Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

\"Miracle Failure\" and BF3

Options
Jed_2
Jed_2 Member Posts: 781
Thank you for correcting that, Mr. Tonner. I certainly meant no ill will. This is an example of how ripe the industry is with misinterpretation, misinformation, and
misunderstanding, innocent or otherwise(hard to tell sometimes). While communication in all forms is critical,
accuracy is as well.

Regards,

Jed

Comments

• bruce pirger
    bruce pirger Member Posts: 111
    Options

About a month ago, I asked about why my new (fired for 14 hours) BF3 was stuck apparently in the post purge. Well, the folks were out on Wednesday finishing up my install, and it failed again! How often do we see intermitent problems FAIL when the right people are there!?

Anyways, Riello said it was a defective unit...apparently not uncommon. Far as I know, this was NOT an old unit...but a new control.

So not completely sure what's up with them...Thought I'd pass on the follow-up.

Thanks,
    bruce
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    i hope this...

is an isolated case...I have not had good luck w/ the BF3...koc
  • bruce pirger
    Options

Is there an option to the BF3 with the Buderus G115/21 and running with the direct vent?

My understanding is the BF3 is the Riello direct vent burner...is that correct?

So no other Riello option...maybe Carlin or other?

Thanks. Can't imagine going away in the winter for a week and returning to a frozen boiler/radiant system. I have antifreeze...but if it is REALLY cold for a LONG spell...

Thanks!
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Carlin

is the other option.

I thought Riello had this fixed?

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Options
    If the BF burner is equipped

with a K7R post-purge control it is very important that the burner have a 'true ground'. If you do not verify and make sure that the burner chassis goes to a true ground this will go on and on.

It's not the fault of the control, FACT! It's a failure to observe proper wiring techniques around electronic components, FACT!

People who run a ground wire from the chassis grounding screw to a true ground have had no problems whatsoever since the new controls came out, the rest of us......

Sorry about that ;-)))) and don't shoot the messenger, okay!?!?!?!?
  • Jed_2
    Options
    K7R

That is correct about true ground. Something I was not aware of until recently. But, you won't see any more K7R's
    from Riello, as the manufacturer of the control went belly up. So, Riello has no replacement for that control at this time; and is in the process of developing an analogue equivalent, to be available, I'm told, buy the end of July. This to be an itermediary until the integrated control development is completed. This is what I was informed of today.

Jed
  • Jed_2
    Options
    Carlin

Presently, we are not recommending Carlin for Direct Vent Applications. They have corrected the problem with the cad cell, but are in the process of re-formulating the 60200 Control. As I understand it, there is a sensitivity issue with the control which can and does cause nuisance lockouts. I am confident CCT is on top of this issue, and future versions will perform well. It is a good burner, but Technicians MUST be fully trained, and aware of it's nuances.

Jed
  • bruce pirger
    Options

Yep, my installer told me Riello told him a replacement isn't available until the end of July....

So now I'm wired around the post-purge...which I guess means when I heat hot water, my nozzle will bake a little bit.

Should I expect that to NOT be a problem down the road, or should I kinda "suggest" that the nozzle be replaced?

I will check the grounding. I ran the rough wiring to the unit...but they did the final wiring. I can't believe they would not have connected the ground....but I'll check.

Thanks again!

And I will say, the BF3 and G115 are a very quiet combination.
  • Jed_2
    Options
    Actually....

Post Purge on a Direct Vent is an "American Thing". Europe, Canada, and probably elsewhere, Post Purge, or "delay fan off", is not used, or required. I'm still a little confused as to why, with direct vent, sealed combustion, U.S. Applications call for Post Purge. What for? It's been in service elswhere for years, with no Post Purge.

Jed
  • Robert O'Connor_4
    Robert O'Connor_4 Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Pre purge

Regarding direct vent oil:

To some degree you can do without pre purge. Nozzle fouling from heat will eventually occur.

With no post purge, you will, for the most part have odor and smoke on shutdown. This is especially true on units with more chamber material

Regards,

Robert
  • Firedragon_4
    Options
    Aha, but you need to try a simple

test to prove out the benefits of pre-purge. The next time you can, install an oil valve on a burner and try putting a toggle switch in the line. Try it with a pre-purge and without.........

For my money it can't be beat for smooth starts, better draft and quieter light-offs. Try it, you'll be impressed. Keep this simple fact in mind; no shellhead burner ever left ANY factory without a delay valve.
  • Robert O'Connor_4
    Robert O'Connor_4 Member Posts: 88
    Options
    You are correct George

Most of the new oil burners have a valve on them. I clean 200 or so units a year. You are correct I do love it. These units are very clean after a year in service.

Regards,

Robert
  • Bob Tonner
    Bob Tonner Member Posts: 64
    Options
    You have been misinfomed...

I can assure you that the manufacturer has not gone "belly up". InfinityLab, the manufacturer of this purge controller for Riello has discontinued the product, but the company is alive and well.

Bob Tonner

President, InfinityLab Inc.

Pickering, Ontario, Canada.
  • Firedragon_4
    Options
    Regretfully, when someone doesn't know

or is not willing to tell the truth about their own inadequacies the first thing they do is blame someone else for their stupidity, FACT!

Sorry for not commenting sooner on that point Bob, but I was hoping that you would yourself, right on!
  • Firedragon_4
    Options
    The simplest answer is housing

construction methods and techniques. This answer could take pages to do justice to, but it's just how they do things.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Thanks for posting Bob !

You explained the FACTS to me at the NEFI show, and I was hoping you would chime in and put any rumors to rest.

Quality IS priceless. The rush to put product on the shelf has a way of "biting the installer in the butt", but leaving the company in question with someone to blame. Business is a game,I wish everyone would play fair. Chris
This discussion has been closed.