Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Shower Doors

Options
We purchased house about 3 years ago. Shower doors appear to have been installed when bathroom remodeled late '70s or early '80s. Still in good shape.

They have one side where the glass is relatively smooth and the other is somewhat irregular (I've seen some that are really rough on one side, this isn't like that).

They were installed with the smooth side out. This seems backward to me - the rough side in collects soap scum and mineral deposits and can't be squeegied or cleaned very well.

Which way do you guys install shower doors - smooth side in or out?

Thanks

Mark

Comments

• Geno_4
    Geno_4 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    sides

> We purchased house about 3 years ago. Shower

> doors appear to have been installed when bathroom

> remodeled late '70s or early '80s. Still in good

> shape.

>

> They have one side where the glass is

> relatively smooth and the other is somewhat

> irregular (I've seen some that are really rough

> on one side, this isn't like that).

>

> They were

> installed with the smooth side out. This seems

> backward to me - the rough side in collects soap

> scum and mineral deposits and can't be squeegied

> or cleaned very well.

>

> Which way do you guys

> install shower doors - smooth side in or

> out?

>

> Thanks

>

> Mark

• Geno_4
    Geno_4 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    sides

The idea behind the glass I believe is for looks. Smooth
    side out gives you a frosted appearance. You look at it from the bathroom not from inside the shower. No it's not easy to clean. Try white vinegar with a scuff pad or a dish washing sponge with the back side that is a scrub pad. If it comes back soon have your water tested. It may be time for a new bathroom. Are you sure it's glass and not plastic? There are chemical cleaners available at the hardware store but make sure you use plenty of ventilation. If your house is like mine the previous owners did little maintenance.
    Good Luck
    Geno
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Mark J Strawcutter Member Posts: 625
    Options
    not frosted

its gently rolling peaks and valleys each about the size of a quarter. I've seen others with 1/4in vertical ridges, and others with half-sphere bumps the size of a pencil eraser - both of which would be a _real_ pain to clean.

I may just try flipping the doors around after a good cleaning and see how it works.

Mark
  • Al Letellier
    Al Letellier Member Posts: 781
    Options
    shower doors

Being a plumber, I used to put in a lot of shower doors unitl I learned that the local glass company will do them for half of what it costs me to do, with way less frustration. If memory serves me correctly, most door manufacturers recommend smooth side in for ease of cleaning. That't the way we always put them in , but I don't really feel it makes a whole lot of difference, one way of the other.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Art Pittaway
    Art Pittaway Member Posts: 230
    Options
    They just lift out

or hang from a track. Maybe the last guy installed them backward and you have lived with it. It's happened to me too! We just keep doing it the same way until that fateful day when we ask......why? Oh, mine are smooth side in also. First cleaning was with a razor blade to get it close enough to use a pad and cleaner.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

I just checked three original shower doors in a big 1960s ranch. ALL have "wavy" glass. One has a sandblasted pattern on the SMOOTH side.

ALL are installed with the waves to the INSIDE of the shower.

I seem to remember this being the "proper" method of installation as in that age people seemed particularly obsessed with privacy. While not particularly good for cleaning, it does make it quite difficult to see details in a nude body--heaven forbid--even if your spouse.

This discussion has been closed.