Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Insultarp

Options
Michael B
Michael B Member Posts: 179
insultarp in Northern Ill. area...www.abledistributors.com.
Pardon my ignorance but isn't insul-tarp installed white side up?

Michael Bleier
Able Distributors
www.abledistributors.com
"The Supplier Who Works With You"

Comments

• Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Options
    How do

I find it. Can someone provide a lead for me to follow? Thanks in advance. WW

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Marc Sherby
    Marc Sherby Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Insultarp

If you are in the Phila. PA area we stock the insultarp at Radiant Heat Supply 610-466-0500. We sell quite a few of them.
  • Tony_8
    Tony_8 Member Posts: 608
    Options
    okay

you've piqued my curiosity and imagination. What, exactly, is an insultarp ?
  • Marc Sherby
    Marc Sherby Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Insultarp

Quoting from the product spec's: Insultarp is an underslab insulation tarp that has a closed cell foam and aluminum reflective material within a poly coating. It is mosture impermiable and reflects 97% of the energy radianting downward. The look like big tarps black on one side white on the other and come in 6' x 25' & 50' and 12' x 25 & 50' sizes and are 1/2" thick. They are seamed at the perimeter and have brass gromets to hold them in place on the ground. The are also effective vapor barriers. Our contractors like them and say they install very quickly compared to foam board and are practically indestructable.
    We sell a lot of them.
  • Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    Insultarp

was used on this slab overpour. I like it because it provides a good separation between the old slab and new slab. The R-value is the same as 1" of Blueboard (R-5), it's thinner than Blueboard, relatively easy to install and it doesn't break when you step on it.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Art...

...certainly exists in that tubing layout. Looks like the "quilting" made GREAT guidelines! Why the tighter spacing to your left?
    Options
    Tighter spacing

On this job, we did a tight (9") barrier at the windows and opened it up to 12" once we got about 3' away from the windows. Actually, the tightest spacing is in the kitchen to the right. We had to go 6" because of the reduced floor area from all the cabinets they had.

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options
    Foot-in-mouth

Is that "quilting" or 6" wire "mesh" for attaching the tube/reinforcing slab? both? Hard to tell from photo.
    Options
    Welded wire mesh

We could have used the E-Z clips, but I forgot we had them.

Thanks to Mark Eatherton for the photo.

• Tony_8
    Tony_8 Member Posts: 608
    Options

Have been using foil/double bubble/poly. 8'X 125' and smaller. Insultarp sounds similar in performance and maybe withstands more "abuse".
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options

That looks as nice to use as the little clips I found that allow a supported drywall corner without solid backing. Truly invaluable in older homes where you have to remove the plaster/lathe.

My good drywaller (lost him to macular degeneration recently) fell in love with them...
  • Tom Bradd
    Tom Bradd Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Nice Job

Alan what a nice neat job. It looks like your customers have a great job on the way. Many years of comfort and enjoyment
    Tom Bradd
  • Paul Cooke
    Paul Cooke Member Posts: 181
    Options
    E-Z Clips

Alan

Where does a guy get these clips? Are they made for wire mesh? Or do they also make them for rebar.

Your work looks great, by the way.

Paul
    Options
    Clips are available from

Southington Tool & Mfg. Co.
    (800)458-2443

Thanks for all your comments.

Alan

• Jed_2
    Jed_2 Member Posts: 781
    Options
    Great looking counterflow

Alan, I was just curious what your ODT was for that installation. How would you design it for an ODT of -20F?

Jed
  • Don_11
    Don_11 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Insultarp

If you are in the New York area it can be purchased through Blackman Plumbing Supply, the rep is Rathe Associates.
    Options
    ODT

was +32° and even though it had high ceilings and lots of glass, the numbers were conservative, mainly because the finished floors were concrete. The average heat loss was between 20-25 BTU/[].

If the ODT was lower, our spacing would have been tighter.

• Michael B
    Michael B Member Posts: 179
    Options
    white side up

Sorry to be a pain but I thought Insul-tarp is supposed to be installed white side up? Your pictures show black side up...am I wrong?

http://insulationsolutions.com/products/InsulTarp

Michael Bleier
    Able Distributors
    www.abledistributors.com
    "The Supplier Who Works With You"
  • Andy N._3
    Andy N._3 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    white side up

You are correct Mike, It is supposed to be installed white side up. Sometimes the concrete guys lay the tarp white side down. Also some materials like double bubble go black side up (I think). I wonder if it really affects performance. I think a test is in order.

Just my opinion,
    Andy N.
    Options
    This came up before

and I called my distributor (Northern Wholesale Supply in Lino Lakes, MN); they didn't think it made a difference.

I'd like to know if it does make a difference.

• Paul Cooke
    Paul Cooke Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Which side is up

I spoke with the people at Insulation Solutions about whether ther is an up side or a down side. They said the white side is usually faced upwards...something about the foam layer being closer to the bottom. But then they said that the reflectivity of the product didn't change when used with the white side down. They say the R value of the insulation stays the same no matter which side faces up. Interesting.

If I were to use the Insultarp outdoors it would be nice to put it down with the black side up just to cut down on the glare from the sun.
This discussion has been closed.