Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Re-assembling single pipe steam return

Options
Pete Novak
Pete Novak Member Posts: 23
I started buying the needed fittings for my project and interesting enough one store had three types of 90 degree 1- 1/4 elbows. They had chinese ones for 2 bucks, some forged steel ones for 10 bucks, and some heavy duty cast ones for 12 bucks. The cast were rated for 300 psi, and the forged were rated for 2000psi. I don't know what the chinese were rated for. I went with the cast ones. They looked the toughest, and closely resembled what I took out. I know the system isn't going to see more than a few psi, but I'm poring a slab over these, so I don't want them to rust through in my lifetime.

What's better to use - pipe dope or teflon tape? Why?

Thanks for the help

Pete

Comments

• John@Reliable_3
    John@Reliable_3 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Pete,

Dope or tape? I use both and never have leaks. If possiable I would put pipes in a trench, never say never.
  • Pete Novak
    Pete Novak Member Posts: 23
    Options
    2nd question

Has anybody had any luck with those big three piece pipe unions? I think I need one or two in this installation. I've seen them used on water and gas pipes, etc. I'm just a little hesitent on using them with steam. Do they effect flow at all? Prone to leaks?

Thanks - Pete

• steve_6
    steve_6 Member Posts: 243
    Options
    buried returns

If possible I wouldn't bury the returns. If they have to go below the floor I wood consider installing a trough style drain first, then lay the return piping in it, and cover it with diamond plate. It makes for a nice clean installation , that is easy to access, and protects your pipe from rusting because of contact with that wet dirt.
This discussion has been closed.