Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

4th of July

Options
John R. Hall
John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
I am watching a parade in downtown Northville, Mich., which borders my hometown of Livonia. Then we will swim at our neighborhood club, cook out hamburgers and hot dogs in the backyard, and in the evening, we will gather around the TV and continue that great American tradition -- watching a Blockbuster movie!

How about you?

(Gee is this country great or what?)

Comments

• J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Gee...This IS a great country !

I will also watch the local parade, annual tradition.(more people come home for the 4th in our hamlet, than come home for Christmas) Gotta see Milne riding the old recumbant bicycle ! Then it's over to the Chowderhead's abode for a beverage and some of the best company of the year. From there, it's anybody's guess . However, it always ends up being one of the highlights of the year .

Happy 4th everyone. John has the right idea, spend it with people you love. Don't get too carried away, and most of all, BE SAFE ! Chris
  • Jackchips
    Jackchips Member Posts: 344
    Options
    Traditional 4th,

Maine lobsters with the family. Extra special this year with my daughter and her two boys up from Florida. Will have all five grandchildren here for the celebration.

To top it off we'll watch the Sox beat the Yankees on the way to a four game sweep-hey the dream is always alive until----

Happy birthday America and thank you to all who gave it to us.

Note to ME: The picture is spectacular.
  • Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Options
    Going over to

my parents for some hamburgers and hot dogs. Then we'll walk about a mile to the local mall where they will have fireworks. My sister and brother and their families will be there too. We almost lost my Dad last year and want to spend as much time as possible with him. Taking the day off from work. Life is good. WW

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    Busy day

Let's see........

Shot off the annual salute at 5:30 AM from the 3" mortar tube in the field behind the house. I'm afraid we hardly rattled any windows because of the thick haze in the air. The mighty BOOOOOOMmmm didn't carry very well. The humidity is above 90% on my weather station.

At 9:00 me and the Mrs. will head to Lake City to watch the annual parade with the grandkids. Nothing big but, Hey!, it's a "happenin'" event here in Missaukee county. I always hope there's not a fire somewhere because all the fire dept's have their trucks in the parade.

After that it's off to my uncle's farm for a family "rebellion" of my mom's side of the tree. They cleaned out one of their tool sheds and set up all the picnic tables in case of rain. (which is predicted in abundance for today)

That will take us to about 3:00 when it will be time to set up the stage and sound equipment for our annual pig-pickin/chicken BBQ, local talent show and fireworks event for the evening. Did I mention we are supposed to get drowned and blown into the next county by storms today. I have to MC the talent program, thump on the old Fender bass
    along with the little ensemble we have, lead the group singing and sing myself in a mens group. BBQ from 5 to 8, talent show/singalong at 8 and then fireworks at dark.

An interesting note about our fireworks. They are self sponsered by all the local residents and businesses. We take up a collection every year at the talent show program to pay for next years batch. Along with that many of the local people will throw in some extra money during the year and local businesses pick up most of the slack. The township acts as the legal entity for buying them and provides insurance for the event. (Insurance for tonight ran about $1,100. Twice what it was last year) On top of that the insurance company darn near wouldn't do it period. This was because we shoot them off ourselves instead of having a professional company do it. In fact, they insisted we get an explosives license from BATF which cost another grand+.

All in all I hope we don't get rained out and everything goes well. It was sure a hassle pulling everything together this year for all of us who were involved. Come about 11:30 tonight when that 144 shot grand finale goes off over the space of 10 seconds......... well let's just say there ain't anyplace in the world like the USA. I'm sure the hassle will be worth it. My hat is off to all the folks behind the scenes that make today's events happen all across this country.

Happy 4th everyone and God bless you all!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm going...

to my estate on the western slope. I've attached an aerial photograph that a friend of mine took during the fall last year. It shows the reservoir at its lowest state since being filled. It's almost full again due to run off and exceptionally large snows in March and April.

The attachment is kinda big, so be prepared to wait, but it's worth it in my opine.

Happy Independence Day!!

ME
  • Roger Link
    Roger Link Member Posts: 15
    Options
    July 4th

It is a work day for me and my crews. In the industrial trade this is the week that the process steam boilers are shutdown and opened for annual maintenance and repairs. Wash out the watersides, punch the tubes, patch the refractory, replace leaking valves and fittings, change gaskets and seals. After boiler inspector approves, close and fire. We only had six boilers to open today ranging from 50 HP to 600 HP. For the week we will have completed 25 boilers for inspections.

Tonight I'll have a few beers, a few hotdogs, shoot off a few fireworks and prepare to finish out our workload tomorrow. I am gratful for the work we have but more thankful for the freedoms we all celebrate today. HAPPY Independence Day to all!

Roger
  • J.C.A._3
    Options
    Roger,

Sounds like a tough "holiday" for you and your guys. WE all know that you gotta make hay while the sun shines , and understand the dilema. Hope you can get the task accomplished in breakneck time, and get the boys home to their families for a good old 4th celebration!

Enjoy it all ,(safely please)Chris
  • Steve Ebels
    Options
    Knock on wood but,,,,,,,,,,,

It's 5:30 and still no rain. The sound guys just set up about $120,000 worth of equipment so we're prayin for dry skies til midnight. Looks like the weather guys are holding true to form.
  • J.C.A._3
    Options
    The 4th it is !

Milne should be posting some photos of him and all his "hooligan bicycle" gang, maybe tomorrow.

As I left the festivities , the pool was still in one piece, but I'm really hoping it stands through the night ! I'll get all the gory details on Wedensday. I'm off Mon. morning for Alan Mercurios seminar at Brookhaven. Can't wait ! I'm gonna see all the stuff we will all be drooling over for the next 3-5 years !Happy 4th , and Steve....I hope the rain holds out for you ! Chris

(hey John, THIS IS A GREAT COUNTRY!!!!)
  • J.C.A._3
    Options
    Hey Mark...

For some strange reason...I remember seeing that from about 37,000 feet once or twice !

For some strange reason, the cut /beachfront sticks in my mind.

Would a normal passenger plane pass that way going from Denver toward the upper west coast ? Happy 4th ! Chris
  • Steve Ebels
    Options
    Chowdahead Report???

Were there any casualties or uncouth behavior at his place?
    Were there local constables or other civil peacekeeping forces present. UN? National gaurd?? Inquiring minds want to know!! Are there any photographic records of the mayhem preserved?

• John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    No power

Storm blew in a 1:00 p.m. on the 4th and knocked out our power. Thirty hours later we finally are back online. It was an adventure but one that was very bearable (the kids didn't like it but Mom and Day survived).
  • J.C.A._3
    Options
    John,

> Storm blew in a 1:00 p.m. on the 4th and knocked

> out our power. Thirty hours later we finally are

> back online. It was an adventure but one that was

> very bearable (the kids didn't like it but Mom

> and Day survived).

• J.C.A._3
    Options
    John,

I heard on the news in the early(Sat.) A.M. that it has proven to be the "windy city" for sure on the fourth.
    Hope you and yours held tight and did the best you could with what you were dealt ! I talked with a few friends in the area and they were without juice only a bit shorter than your time out .

(I don't mean to be rude or nasty....) Did they cancel the fireworks ? If they did, I hope you all got to see them on the 5th.

Just for some qualification for the question. I had to leave Mr. Milnes fine party quite a bit earlier than anticipated . Dopey me woke up on Thursday with a nasty cold , and stayed as long(Fri.)
    as my body would allow . My best guess would be that I missed some of the better parts, but I'll leave that for the horses....MOUTH! . I know there are at least a couple pictures coming forward . However , I haven't heard from the Boss since , and frankly, I'm not too worried . I understand that it takes a few days to recover from a Chowdahead bash.

John, wish there was a way to call all that nasty weather back, but I'm sure you and the family made the best of it .
    Hope everyone had a good time , and the finger and toe counts are the same as when it started .

Where's the pictures Chowda ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes Chris...

it is in the direct flight path of numerous major cities. Could be you've been there...

ME
This discussion has been closed.