Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Kitec in slab

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,192
recently took on the Kitec product line. I used 6000 feet on this slab job.

The owner supplied the foam. We used a 2" with a R-foil layer laminated between two 1" layers. The manufacture claims the foil will add a strong reflective element to the foam?? Sure does make the 16 foot long sheets very sturdy.

The kitec felt a little less crush resistent than the Wirsbo and Weil PAPs I have used. Maybe a thinner mil aluminum? I was a bit concerned about kinking where it ran over the 2" chairs.

We pumped 78 yards in the Missouri heat this morning. Sweat city.

hot rod
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    how thick is ....

the slab? What does that give you for the final R value? What are you going to use as a boiler? nice work! kpc
  • Dan Peel
    Dan Peel Member Posts: 431
    Options
    Good stuff !

I really like the way you had the concrete pumper colour matched with the scheme of the Kitec over insulation design. It's all in the detail........ Dan

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What kind..

of pressure test is that? Oh, low pressure test eh...:-)

I like Kitec and PAP too, but if theres a chance one of them 300 pound dainty concrete fairys is going to step on a tube where its a comin' off the chair, I think PEX can withstand the brunt better from them mud sloggin' size 12-1/2 boots.

But we've done a butt load of both and haven't had a pinch off yet.

ME
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,192
    Options
    Thanks!

for the comments. K, sounds like a wood fired boiler with electric back up. Depends on how his budget holds up :) I still call 2" of foam R-10. The foam dude claims the foil layer increases the value. But no hard data to prove it. The homeowner is from Germany, where her dad is a builder. They got lots of radiant advise from him. He encouraged them to use 4" of foam, as that is his norm!

Dan, yeah the color IS important. That Kitec has a candy or pearlescent sheen to it in the sun. Almost blinding!

ME the system is under a 30 lb test. All the small remote manifolds are piped back to the main mech room where the gauge is located. I put 100 psi on for an hour or so as I tighten up ties, etc. I use plain old pex crimp tees for my test manifold, on the supply side and cap all the return ends. I install the nice telesat manifolds after the framers and other subs are done.

The 30 psi test climbed to 38 after the pour and sun got to it! Think I will run the chair strips parallel to the tube runs from now on, with both PAP and regular pex. Better to error on the safe side :)

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • steve gates
    steve gates Member Posts: 329
    Options

I'm a die hard Kitec user. In the five years I've been on my own I've only used Wirsbo once cause that what the owner wanted and paid more for.

I too had worried about the big footed crete guys and did some of my own foot stompin. Still use it

Now that I staple to the foam it's even less worry. Why staple? Seems it always ended up at the bottom any way I tried.

And the left over short pieces are now used in the potable water. Wonderful containment system.
This discussion has been closed.