Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Black or Galvanized?

Options
Pete Novak
Pete Novak Member Posts: 23
I'm ready to purchase the pipe for a single pipe steam return that runs under/through a concrete slab. The old is out, and the new is ready to go in. Two questions:

1. Do I buy black or galvanized pipe for this project? It is 1-1/4" pipe. I can't tell what the old stuff is. It's rusted.

2. There are two lines from opposite sides of the room that run to the center of the room. Then they merge into one perpendicular line and continue on to the boiler. The old installation had them installed with an offset T design to eliminate water hammer. Should I reinstall an offset T design or is there a suitable Y pipe to use? I can post a drawing if needed.

Thanks - Pete

Comments

• Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    i thought that...

it was taboo to use Galvy on steam because of the zinc flaking off and cousing all kinds of problems...kpc
  • Pete Novak
    Options
    drawing of return pipe layout

Here's a simple drawing of the return pipe layout. It's bird's eye view of the radiator's and return pipes. The one on the left is what was the original off-set T design, and the one one on the right is the proposed Y design. What do you think? Thanks Pete

• Pete Novak
    Options
    drawing of return pipe layout

Here's a simple drawing of the return pipe layout. It's bird's eye view of the radiator's and return pipes. The one on the left is what was the original off-set T design, and the one one on the right is the proposed Y design. I can send it as a tiff or jpeg if needed. What do you think? Thanks Pete
  • Chris_4
    Chris_4 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    it

won't open for me!!!

jpeg works better most of the time

Chris
  • Wayne_12
    Wayne_12 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Have to have word to open doc.

• Pete Novak
    Options
    here's the jpeg

• Unknown
    Options
    Pete

Is there any way you can tee the 2 return lines lower ? With a tee or a Y that high , theres always a chance of steam hitting returning condensate from the other return . If you can tee them below the normal water line of the boiler you can eliminate that problem , and it won't matter what you use - tee , Y - they both work well on a gravity return . And what KPC said about using galvanized is what I've heard , it can flake off and cause some problems . Go with black steel . Good luck .
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    The rule of thumb is

Black steel typically averages 40 year life under normal underground circumstances. Less if the soil is corrosive or wet, more if factors are good. If you are concerned, there are pipe wrapping materials that can be had from most any pipe supply place, or, I've seen people simply tar the pipe thoroughly once it's in place and bury it.
  • Pete Novak
    Options
    ok. I'm going w/ the black

Thanks for the help. I'm going with the black. I should have most of it installed tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.