Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Peerless vs. Burnham

Options
Brian_19
Brian_19 Member Posts: 115
> Several years ago we were installing Peerless <BR>
> boilers.<BR>
> <BR>
> We noticed that on the MI series gas <BR>
> boilers with standing pilots, the boilers were <BR>
> eating thermocouples like candy. <BR>
> <BR>
> When I spoke <BR>
> to a rep about this he said and I quote, "Kink <BR>
> the pilot tube".<BR>
> <BR>
> He also said that I was the <BR>
> only contractor who seemed to have a <BR>
> problem.<BR>
> <BR>
> Well, I finally found out that YES <BR>
> there was an issue with the gas valves on those <BR>
> units and that Peerless was well aware of it. I <BR>
> finally got another supplier to get me a few of <BR>
> the "repair kits" that Peerless was using on <BR>
> their assembly line to fix this problem. It <BR>
> consisted of a new burner tube with the pilot <BR>
> assembly and an orrifice to go in the pilot <BR>
> tap.<BR>
> <BR>
> We contacted the customers with those <BR>
> units and went out made the repairs.<BR>
> <BR>
> You think <BR>
> Peerless would compensate us for any of it? <BR>
> NOPE!<BR>
> <BR>
> Personally, I will never offer a <BR>
> Peerless product again. <BR>
> <BR>
> I never had a V-7 <BR>
> unit crack, but as far as I could tell, Burnham <BR>
> stood by their product and took <BR>
> responsibilty.<BR>
> <BR>
> Peerless thumbed their nose at <BR>
> us. Fine. Right back at ya'!<BR>
> <BR>
> Mark H<BR>
> <BR>
> <BR>
> <BR>
> _A <BR>
> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id= <BR>
> 238&Step=30"_To Learn More About This Contractor, <BR>
> Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A <BR>
> Contractor"_/A_ <BR>
<BR>

Comments

• Frank_13
    Frank_13 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Peerless vs. Burnham

Peerless vs. Burnham - Which is the better boiler?
  • Tom Simensen
    Tom Simensen Member Posts: 74
    Options

I believe that Burnham makes the section bundles for Peerless, so I doubt there is a difference there. I would gauge it off of customer support.

I don't know much about Peerless, because they aren't represented in my area, But I have worked with Burnham a lot and they have awsome customer service.
  • techheat_2
    techheat_2 Member Posts: 117
    Options

Flip a coin, there basically the same, pin type, single pass, wet- base, cast iron boilers with same controls ,burners etc. Burnham has cleanouts on right side, if clearance is an issue go with Peerless. If not,do you like green or blue better?
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    I have a high regard for Peerless - especially on the oil side,

they are very CHUNKY and meaty - heavy as an elephant though. However, Burnham has the beef, the refinement, and excellent tech support and promotional base that a cutting edge company needs. Peerless are a good, solid substitute if I can't get my hands on a Burnham in a pinch. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Paul Mitchell
    Paul Mitchell Member Posts: 266
    Options
    PEERLESS

Stick with peerless we had two Burnhams last winter with cracked blocks both in the same spot. Not put in by us but repaired or replaced by us. Both were only a couple years old.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John@Reliable_4
    John@Reliable_4 Member Posts: 101
    Options
    That problem V7 was solved with the V8, nice unit but HEAVY

• Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Equals

I have high regard for both products. In all honesty the V-7 embarassment led me to Peerless. My Dad and I have used Burnham 95% exclusively since 1973 when they were an Am Std VP with a blue green jacket.

I went to the Peerless foundry, and no it is not the same one as Burnham. One is in Pottstown the other is in Lancaster[I could be wrong]

Burnham has the edge with the Beckett made to order burner with the cover and all. The swing out door is better. I like Burnhams burner plug harness vs. Peerless' you gotta take apart the junction box and wrestle with the bx connector design. Peerless finally upgraded the burner components to state of the art [psc motor,solid state ignitor, solid state primary, oil valve etc.] My supplier had some old stock and I p'd and moaned whenever I got the "old" burners.

Both are heavy as hell, and either one would be a first choice for steam. Peerless has the option of top or rear flue up to 5 sections. And some of the Peerless can go direct vent. You can get the Peerless with Riello for less of an upcharge.

It is like the Ford-Chevy thing. Both are very good products. Some people love one more than the other for some reason or another. Both good, both excellent support.
  • jose
    jose Member Posts: 17
    Options
    leaks

I agree with Mr. Mitchell, I too have seen burhams with leaking or cracked sections always in the same spots, second from the front.I prefer the Riello set up personally.
  • Just to clear the air a little Paul

I would presume that the 2 cracked blocks you are referring to were V7 boilers. I would also suspect that they were indeed more than a couple of years old and suffered thermal stresses. The problem with this occuring was corrected in 1997 and the V7 product line was replaced by the V8 line in 1998. We have stated many times on this site what the cause of the section failures were, when this was corrected and what has been done to prevent this from happening with the V8 sections. Those of you that have used the V8 boiler have seen what has been done to prevent this from happening such as wider sections with no restriction, longer radius to crown sheet and no more square corners at cleanout plate openings. We have also stated that we have stood behind the V7 boilers completely and have a toll free hot line to make dealing with them much easier. We are sorry that you had to deal with these Paul. All we ask is that you don't comdemn an entire product line when you may not necessarily understand all the reasons behind the problem and what has been done to correct it. Thanks for your understanding. Feel free to call me if you would like to discuss this matter or if there is anything I can do for you. My office number is (401)789-1899.

Glenn Stanton

Burnham Hydronics
  • The Burnham Foundry

is in Zanesville, Ohio Bill. The rest of the manufacturing facilities are in Lancaster, PA. Yes the V7 issue was an embarassment for us all and we have discussed the causes and cures several times here on this site. I would like to state that the V8 section assembly is completely redesigned so that the issues that arose with the V7 will not occur with the V8. Thanks for still keeping an open mind with the V8. By the way....the recent changes you have seen with the V8 are a direct result of input from folks such as yourself. The plug in burner, notched swing door, burner cover thumb knobs, premium gauge and reset button in cover are ideas that came from you guys. We appreciate the comments you folks make, both positive and negative, and assure you that we do indeed listen! Hope this helps.

Glenn Stanton
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    And there is

The proffesional response.

So the question is would you get that repley from Peerless ?
    How do they respond to problems ?

I have no favorite, but Glenns responses and knowledge go a long way with me.

Scott

• Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Here's a little story Re: Peerless

Several years ago we were installing Peerless boilers.

We noticed that on the MI series gas boilers with standing pilots, the boilers were eating thermocouples like candy.

When I spoke to a rep about this he said and I quote, "Kink the pilot tube".

He also said that I was the only contractor who seemed to have a problem.

Well, I finally found out that YES there was an issue with the gas valves on those units and that Peerless was well aware of it. I finally got another supplier to get me a few of the "repair kits" that Peerless was using on their assembly line to fix this problem. It consisted of a new burner tube with the pilot assembly and an orrifice to go in the pilot tap.

We contacted the customers with those units and went out made the repairs.

You think Peerless would compensate us for any of it? NOPE!

Personally, I will never offer a Peerless product again.

I never had a V-7 unit crack, but as far as I could tell, Burnham stood by their product and took responsibilty.

Peerless thumbed their nose at us. Fine. Right back at ya'!

Mark H

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Amen to

that, Mark. There is also something to be said for R+D, or lack of it on Peerless's part. Funny how they stick their label on a HTP product. Back in the ol' service days, if I came across a JOT Peerless, I knew it was going to be a very unsatisfying experience. Walk in on a Burnham,I would walk out on air..they just were that easy to clean/service and predictable.

Burnham support is indeed tremendous.

• Brian_19
    Brian_19 Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Peerless MI

I too have had pilot light problems with the Peerless MI boiler. As it turns out my local rep told me I was the only one having this problem. That must be the most famous and most taught line in sales "You are the only one with that problem".
    I also have lost respect for peerless after that.I had so many night calls becauce of the thermocouples. I have more respect for a company to admit a mistake or a manufacturing defect. If they would tell us about known problems we can correct it before we have break downs in the evening and on weekends.
    Another famous excuse is "We don't have this problem anywhere else, your area must have bad water"

• D Logan Ireland Oil Co Inc
    Options
    Dinosaur

The v-8 Burnham is a dinosaur by todays standards and weighs about as much as one. Remember guys they may have upgraded the v-7 leaker but there are many more installations that are still lurking out there. The last two V-7 boilers I replaced as leakers Burnham paid me 450.00 and a whooping 250.00 for my Labor. Now that is respect for our trade. I still have the blocks they left me to dispose of. They are of course in my showroom next to my Buderus display. Yes that's correct, in my showroom. What a great conversation piece. Hey Glenn your a good soldier for Burnham. Keep up the good work.
  • jerrygb46_3
    jerrygb46_3 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    peerless pilot light

Can any one tell me the dates that the pilot assembly were giveing you problems???,and do you know if they were corrected??
  • Sorry you feel this way Dave

In past posts here on the wall, I asked questions of you regarding your comments about these two boilers. I don't recall receiving a response though. How you promote the products that you choose to sell is your business. I'm disappointed that you have chosen to promote things this way. Not something that I'd probably ever do but as I said, it's your business Dave. Good luck in what you do and if I can ever be of help, you know where to find me.

Glenn Stanton

Burnham Hydronics
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Your a

class act, Glenn. Hope we meet some day.

Jack
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Dates

I believe that the boilers I had trouble with were installed in 1999. It's been so long since I used Peerless that I can't remember exactly.

The kits that I received were right from the factory and I was told that Peerless was using them to correct the problem. My guess is that they had a bunch of the gas valves left and had to do something.

We sent invoices to the rep agency, as per Peerless, and they flat out refusd to compensate the company for the time spent repairing the faulty units. EVERY SINGLE MI boiler with a standing pilot had this problem and we sold quite a few of them.

They may have fixed their pilot light issue on the MI, but they have done NOTHING to prove that they are a company that stands behind their products.

Mark H

• I'd like that Jack!

What neck of the woods are you from? I concentrate my training time and efforts in the New England states, New York and New Jersey. If that's where you are, then the likelyhood of getting together some day is pretty good.

Glenn
This discussion has been closed.