Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What a great life

Options
John R. Hall
John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
We went to watch our son play in the All-Star baseball game today (9-10 year olds). He pitched well, (one inning -- one run) and stroked a three-run double. We lost when the other team scored four runs in the bottom of the 7th (10-9). But I was so proud of my son, especially when he was standing on second after his hit and the fans were going wild. If I didn't have the huge lump in my throat, I would have cheered even louder.

And then I thought to myself as I looked around at the other proud parents and relatives, what a great bunch of people I know and have become friends with. And I thought about the pre-game ceremonies when we all stood and sang to the national anthem as the flag waved nearby.

I am truly blessed to have such a good family, friends and to be surrounded by this great country we live in. I cannot believe that life could get any better.

Sorry if I took this moment to be melancholy. I think most of my friends here can understand and appreciate the feelings I have.

God Bless the families of the U.S.A.

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    You, my friend,

have it all figured out.
    Retired and loving it.
  • mp1969
    mp1969 Member Posts: 226
    Options

Due to the fact we are older and our kids are for the most part grown,I can share a different story with a similar sense of pride. Our youngest son always had his sights on being a Marine since he was little. When he was seventeen he enlisted a a delayed entry type program and went to basic the day after he graduated in June 2000. The Marines had a family day where they told us what to expect in April of 2000 and strongly encouraged us all to attend the graduation ceromonies in Sept. after they went through there training.
    You cannot imagine the pride of seeing 550 raw recruits transformed into a precise Marine unit. It proved to us that there are still great kids out there with excellant values and tremendous courage. To top off this already awesome day our son was one of eight (one in each platoon) to be named "The Ironman" of his platoon (he scored the highest on the physical tests)
    My guess is that your pride and praise will only be the start or continuation of many similar happenings.
    Your story was great and we all need to hear about the human side of our industry. THANK YOU you made my day!

MP1969

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Our children

> Due to the fact we are older and our kids are

> for the most part grown,I can share a different

> story with a similar sense of pride. Our youngest

> son always had his sights on being a Marine since

> he was little. When he was seventeen he enlisted

> a a delayed entry type program and went to basic

> the day after he graduated in June 2000. The

> Marines had a family day where they told us what

> to expect in April of 2000 and strongly

> encouraged us all to attend the graduation

> ceromonies in Sept. after they went through there

> training. You cannot imagine the pride of

> seeing 550 raw recruits transformed into a

> precise Marine unit. It proved to us that there

> are still great kids out there with excellant

> values and tremendous courage. To top off this

> already awesome day our son was one of eight (one

> in each platoon) to be named "The Ironman" of his

> platoon (he scored the highest on the physical

> tests) My guess is that your pride and praise

> will only be the start or continuation of many

> similar happenings. Your story was great and

> we all need to hear about the human side of our

> industry. THANK YOU you made my

> day!

>

> MP1969

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 250&Step=30"_To Learn More About This Contractor,

> Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A

> Contractor"_/A_

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mark Hunt
    Options
    Our children

> Due to the fact we are older and our kids are

> for the most part grown,I can share a different

> story with a similar sense of pride. Our youngest

> son always had his sights on being a Marine since

> he was little. When he was seventeen he enlisted

> a a delayed entry type program and went to basic

> the day after he graduated in June 2000. The

> Marines had a family day where they told us what

> to expect in April of 2000 and strongly

> encouraged us all to attend the graduation

> ceromonies in Sept. after they went through there

> training. You cannot imagine the pride of

> seeing 550 raw recruits transformed into a

> precise Marine unit. It proved to us that there

> are still great kids out there with excellant

> values and tremendous courage. To top off this

> already awesome day our son was one of eight (one

> in each platoon) to be named "The Ironman" of his

> platoon (he scored the highest on the physical

> tests) My guess is that your pride and praise

> will only be the start or continuation of many

> similar happenings. Your story was great and

> we all need to hear about the human side of our

> industry. THANK YOU you made my

> day!

>

> MP1969

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 250&Step=30"_To Learn More About This Contractor,

> Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A

> Contractor"_/A_

Mark H

• Mark Hunt
    Options
    USA

I have heard every bit of poison that those that hate America have to spit. Let them spit.

In spite of them, America works.

Mark H

• John@Reliable_3
    John@Reliable_3 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Kid's , sports, and livin' in the USA

John, I know that feeling! Our kids, sports, and living in the USA.
    My oldest plays Pop-Warner football. Two months after 911 we were playing a game in the town of Mashpee Massachusetts, which is right next to the airbase that the fighter jets took off from on that outrageous day. It was so strange what happened, for some reason it was very quiet and a time out on the field. Then like on clue one fighter jet appeared in the sky and then another 20 seconds later both headed out to sea to where I will never know. Now I’m looking back at these 11 and 12 year old kids playing football and watching the jets in the distance thinking how could this happen to us. It still gives me shivers, what if they made it quicker that day, so many unanswered questions. Thank god we live in the USA. John@Reliable
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    we are all so very blessed

I am glad you had such a great day John, you deserve it.

I could nver have imagine the joy that comes from a child to your life. The pride at times is overwhelming.

I Hope everyone has a wonderfull fourth of July.

Scott

• Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Options
    I believe that

our children are our link to the future. My daughter graduated from high school this June. The whole family came together to watch the ceremony. In the crowd were parents that I have met from all our mutually related Parental activities. From coaching to scouts and whatever else. There was a shared pride and we all just looked in each others eyes and felt the bond and shook each others hands. When the moment came that my little girl was announced I was welling up as we all shouted for her and would have lost it except I looked over at my wife of 20 years and she already had tears streaming down her face, which made me laugh with joy. We are all so privilged to be in a place that allows the growth of the individual and the freedom of the choice to be more. The 4th of July is about more than fireworks for me. Happy fouth everyone. WW

• Eric Taylor_35
    Eric Taylor_35 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Life is beautiful.

Happy 4th!

Eric
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Good story

Thanks for sharing, John. A proud moment to be sure!

• Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Options
    Great pic Eric

I don't want to be a grandfather yet, although my kids are at the age where they could, but when the time comes I can't wait to tickle those little feet and play with the little one until the time comes to hand it back for the diaper changing. Ohyaaa!!! WW

• MikeB34
    MikeB34 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Some things..

..aren't limited by borders. I am a Canadian, and can 100% relate. The pride we feel for our children, our country and the un-comparable life in a true democracy. Listening to the National anthem (yours and Mine)and knowing the we live the life of the free. I know some of you south of the border were not happy that Candian soldiers were not in Iraq, but that does not mean we think it was wrong.(the decision was by politicians) As a veteran of 16 years, my prayers and those of my family were with all of your troops. God Bless our Countries, and I hope all of you have a safe 4th of July.
    Regards, a Canadian friend.
    Mike
  • Eric Taylor_35
    Eric Taylor_35 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks Bud.

Those toes are almost 3 years old now. Seems like she was born just yesterday. As soon as I saw her little face look up at me for the first time I knew instantly what the meaning of life was. I changed from a boy to a man that day.

We have two daughters now and I'm the richest man in the world!

Cheers,

Eric
  • John R. Hall
    Options
    Canada is cool

Thanks Mike. My Mom was born in Vancouver and I have dozens of cousins there. We visit often and I have very fond memories of our trips to Canada as a child and as an adult. Frankly, a few of my cousins aren't big fans of the U.S. and I tend to stay out of political discussions with them. The beauty of freedom is being able to express your opinions without fear of public scorn, imprisonment or worse. Growing up free in a caring family environment is the key.
  • MikeB34
    MikeB34 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    i know...

I have 3 girls...is my net worth more? Someone asked me how do you divide your love amongst 3, I told em you don't...you multiply!!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,192
    Options
    Nice

The toes of our two are now 32 & 16, so our little league days have come & gone - I wouldn't trade one minute of them for all the tea in China.

When our oldest was playing, I was just a one man band & would arrange my work schedule so that it revolved around his practices and games. Couldn't do that on round two, but I was there more often than not & helped coach the last five or six years.

Thanks for the post & for sparking some very warm, funny and loving memories. Go for the gusto!

Here's one. John, the older one, played on a summer youth baseball team full of misfits - kind of like the Bad News Bears, only not nearly as funny. One of those kids was Cory Goshorn, who was severly disabled from being hit by a car as he rode his Big Wheels bike into traffic as a little tyke.

Cory only ever got one hit, but he always took his turn at bat and was happy to be in the game. That day he hit the ball, it didn't go very far, but the other team "bobbled" the ball & cory made it to first. On the next play, they again bobbled the ball as Cory struggled to 2nd base. The rest of the story went much the same and Cory was able to get home for a score. Man, he was walking tall that day. That was one of the finest games I ever attended.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • John R. Hall
    Options
    Nice Dave

That reminds me of the story last fall from the Ohio high school when both teams agreed to let the mentally disadvantaged young man take the ball and score a touchdown, ruining the other team's shutout. I love feel-good stories that renew one's faith in the human spirit.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,192
    Options
    yup

I remember that one too. Ours wasn't quite as dramatic. I see Cory every now & again wandering the streets of York. He eventually fell in with a bad crowd & became entrenched in the drug scene. A bad ending I'm afraid. Ya gotta have parents who remain involved to get through this maze called life.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • PJO_2
    PJO_2 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Here's another great baseball story

Wallies,

This year's baseball team that my son Sean plays on (and I help coach) struggled through the regular season. We were 2-8 on the field, with one additional win via forfeit. We lost three of our games by a single run, and ended up in last place.

Needless to say, the playoffs were coming and some players where seeing an early exit. The head coach, Ed McNeill, is a generous man who tried to fire up the squad with a promise of a trip to Yankee stadium if we won the championship.

We had to play the fourth place team (we where fifth), which we beat 7-4. Next was the first place team...we knocked them off with a 10-6 win. Next came the Reds...second place because of the forfeit to us. We beat them 6-5 by stealing four bases and scoring a run in each of the last two innings.

After all the teams played off in the loser's bracket, the Reds played us again...winning 4-3 in the bottom of the sixth inning.

They had to beat us twice to win the championship, so in the first inning of the final game they put two runs up in the first inning without an out...we outscored them 10-1 after that to win the league championship (National/10-12 years old). The Dodgers went from last to the top in just two weeks!

Yankees here we come...in a stretch limo! As was said earlier, "Life is Good"

Happy Fourth of July Wallies! Take Care, PJO

This discussion has been closed.