Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Beware Internet Hydronics

Options
We had a client stop in by chance this week. He said our radiant sign caught his eye and wanted to ask a couple of questions. He showed us a quote he recieved from one of the many internet "Hydronic Companies". As my boss was talking with him I was going thru his quote. I could not believe my eyes! The first thing to jump out at me was the "detailed heat loss". (NOT!!!) 1800sqft up with a full basement. The heat loss for the basement was a staggering 76,000 BTU/H!!
What?? For a non-walkout,or any basement?? The heat loss for the main floor came in at 66,000 BTU/H...Maybe...The report was far from "detailed". It was for the main floor and the basement, not a room-by-room report.

This is to be a staple up with 130 degree water! Yea,right!
The quote called for two zones. Main floor and Basement, both at 130 degrees. No manifolds were called for, just 1/2" Tees coming off 3/4" copper!

I sat down and did a quick heat loss for him. Basement...21,010 BTU/H. Main floor 49,750 BTU/H.
Main floor water at 180 degrees. Basement at 130 & 100 degrees. Family room calling for 2,000 BTU/H supplemental. Kitchen's wood floor will be too warm. Two rooms in the basement need 6" centers, not 12". Bla,Bla,Bla,Bla..... So many things were not correct that the client doesn't really believe us that, as shown, his internet design will not work. Frustrating!!! Thanks for letting me vent!

Beware the fly-by-nighters. You really do get what you pay for.

Comments

• kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    well maybe he will....

be sorry come january! There are some customers out there that once they get something in their head you can't change it w/o going through all the pain of seeing/feeling it NOT work.... Write it down and file it so that if he comes back you can fix it for twice as much it would have cost him to do it right the 1st time...kpc
This discussion has been closed.