Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boilermate question

Options
ThermalJake
ThermalJake Member Posts: 127
New construction in/near Hawley, PA. Oil-fired hydro-air system, with boilermate. He says that his wife cannot fill the upstairs tub with hot H2O, says it goes cold. He thinks that if he changes the control to maintain the bioler temp, he will have an unlimited supply of DHW. I think it is a 40 gal boilermate. It seems to me that he'd be wasting $ maintaining a boiler temp that only heats the boilermate from a coil. This solution cannot fix the problem, but can burn oil.

Choice #2 was to manipulate the temp at the aquastat, but then you'd need a mixer for anti-scauld.

A friend suggested that we look into the electric coils that heat the water before it goes into the boilermate. This would give the biolermate hot water (so that the boiler would not have to heat it, but only maintain it), and would reduce the amount of oil used during the summer (right now, when a call for DHW, the tank is used, and the recovery is based on the time to heat the boiler[from cold] plus the time to heat the coil, plus the time to heat the tank full of H2O).

It seems like the designer would have picked this up, but now we're looking for some thoughtful suggestions.

Thanx,
Jake

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Guy_5
    Guy_5 Member Posts: 159
    Options
    indirect

Maintaining a boiler temperature defeats the idea behind an indirect. In this situation I would look at:
    a) Making sure that the indirect is calling on the oil burner.
    b) Is the boiler properly fired? Is the input GPH enough?
    c) Make sure that the high limit on the boiler is set properly.
    d)Check the differential on the indirect's aquastat. It may be lagging too long before turning on the circulator and burner.
    e) Check the pipe and circulator sizing between the indirect and the boiler. Is it within manufacturer's specs?
    f) Was the indirect properly sized for the demand?

• Dick
    Dick Member Posts: 12
    Options
    If the hot and cold

Come out the top, check the dip tube, I had several that had this problem.
  • B. Ryan
    B. Ryan Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Boilermate

Please give Amtrol tech service a call and we can discuss the issue.
    (800) 736-1149 ext 270. I have some questions.

What size is the tub?
    What is the boiler BTU output?
    What is the set temp on the Boilermate?
    What is the boiler set temp?
    How old is the unit? Is it on a well?
    Does it have a digital control or a dial?

• J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    My first question ...

Would regard the flow rate . I've seen some tubs of late that are dropping in excess of 5 gpm. I don't think there are any boilermates that could keep up with that . Cold starting will lead to the coil for the water taking temp away from the heated water at the beginning of the cycle. Kind of like finding a great balancing act .Not impossible, but your gonna sacrifice tub fill times for quality hot water.

I have had this problem quite a few times , and find that maintaining the boiler even 20° lower than desired water temp (say 110°) doesn't use all that much more oil, keeps the chimney working properly and gives the boiler a "head start" for heating said water. Having serviced oil boilers for many years, I find that maintaining any temperature works to the customers advantage . Far less problems!
    JMHO. (been there, done that). Chris
  • ThermalJake
    ThermalJake Member Posts: 127
    Options

Thank you all very much. I will contact you (B Ryan) as soon as I can.

Jake

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Steve Miller
    Steve Miller Member Posts: 115
    Options
    check the

> Please give Amtrol tech service a call and we can

> discuss the issue. (800) 736-1149 ext 270. I

> have some questions.

>

> What size is the

> tub? What is the boiler BTU output? What is the

> set temp on the Boilermate? What is the boiler

> set temp? How old is the unit? Is it on a

> well? Does it have a digital control or a dial?

• Steve Miller
    Steve Miller Member Posts: 115
    Options
    check the

I'd check and make sure the coil is piped correctly. I haven't used a Boilermate in years, too many ruptures and clogged coils. I'd be leary of raising the temp and temping the water with a mixing valve. Didn't the tanks used to rubber linded or something?

Steve
This discussion has been closed.