Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Curious on LWCO

Options
as I was looking at the post on LWCO wiring I was wondering where you guys are locating the LWCO in the piping system when pumping away or on primary/secondary piping?

I know it is not required in all states and local codes vary on requiring a LWCO. It is my opinion one should be required on every job.

I have a job right now with the radiant below the level of the boiler. Were would you suggest putting the low water cut off?

Comments

• Robert O'Connor
    Robert O'Connor Member Posts: 97
    Options
    Low water control

I always come out of the boiler supply with a vertical riser 6"-8" or so and tee in the low water control there, no vlve betweeen LWC and boiler.

This is a very common installation in Maine and i believe it affords the best protection. There are other installations which are permissable by code. Ie in the boiler "above the crown sheet"

regards,
    Robert
  • Unknown
    Options
    Timmie

The LWCO should be located in the supply pipe to the system as close as feasibly possible to the boiler. We advise on always using a 120 volt model so that it will interupt the line voltage to the boiler. This will also eliminate the possibility of doing harm to the boiler controls and wiring harness of the boiler by connecting to the boiler harness in the wrong place. Rhode Island requires a LWCO on all hot water boilers and has since the early 90's. It is also a good idea to shut off the PR valve too.

Glenn
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks Glenn

I appreciate the information.
This discussion has been closed.