Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Unknown Tube + Unbelivevably bad install

Options
Einsiedler
Einsiedler Member Posts: 61
I ran across another nightmare this morning. My Best Contractor asked me to look at an unfinnished install he is considering taking on (orig. contractor was run off)

Laars 100MBH Boiler is source for; 33x15 snowmelt (est. 99,000 btu load), 1000SF Garage, 1500SF Basement, 1000SF Tiled areas with 14ft ceilings & lots of glass, 2-75MBH Air Handlers, AND 50 Gallon Indirect. All of the above use Taco 007 Pumps (including primary). NO secondary, no mixing,No Controls other than aquastats & Relays. all piping is 1" (& I mean ALL the piping) and all tube is 1/2"

I wanted to go bury my head in the sand.. then I thought about burying the guy that designed this monster.

Once I do my heatload, I can offer the proper boiler/pumps/HE's/etc..

But I'm not sure how to address the tubing used. (Concrete is poured). Anyone heard of this; ???

1/2" Flex Infinity. Solid White in color, feels like flex cpvc. The Following Numbers were printed on the tubing;
CB450-3 ASTM F876/F877 B137.5 SDR9

Any help highly appreciated.
Regards,
Terry @ Frontier Supply.

Comments

• bigugh_4
    bigugh_4 Member Posts: 406
    Options
    You might look

at www.hydronicspros.com & see what there is there. It just may save the concrete! The rest of the stuff is up for grabs as you already know. Good luck that kind of a job is always a bummer. Cover youeself with a good disclaminer clause in the written and explicit contract signed and delivered! bigugh
  • John@WattsRadiant
    John@WattsRadiant Member Posts: 49
    Options
    tubing

ASTM F876/F877 are the standards for pex tubing. I have to say I've never heard of Flex Infinity, though.
    John
  • Einsiedler
    Options
    definatly pex.

It is pex. But I'm doubting it's integrity for closed loop heating. It feels & smells like an aqua pex.

I may just specify a plate exchanger to isolate this tubing from important components.

Thanks for the input !

Terry
  • leo g_46
    leo g_46 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    terry

this tubing has been around for awhile. in canada, bow pipe was the first to have it, then vanguard started to use it. the latest pex variant to hit is called superpex. it is a 3 layer construction.

it is saline method, and was developed to allow for recirc lines. we have used a ton of it. only thing, the stuff you have sounds like it is just the potable stuff, i would definately use a heat exchanger with it.

leo g
  • Tom Meyer
    Tom Meyer Member Posts: 300
    Options
    If in doubt...

use a heat exchanger. It's a cheap insurance policy. We get the "monsters" all the time. I always plan for the worst and hope for the best.

About the disclaimer, I can't agree more. We write an "Assumption Report" and put down the best available information provided along with specifically identifying the sources of that information, line item by line item. We have the customer sign a copy and return it before we start tangling with corrective action. It's amazing how the information changes when you want them to sign. Also, it gives everyone an agreed upon starting point. We believe, in our wonderful ignorance, our responsibility starts with the assumption report. If someone wants to list us as an "also named" in a lawsuit, (thankfully it hasn't happened yet), our position would be "we made corrections and recommendations based upon the information provided."

Senior Designer/Trainer
    Precision Hydronics Corporation
    www.precisionhydronics.com
  • Einsiedler
    Options
    excellent info

Excellent information from all of you again.
    Thanks for the input & advice.

"Tipping my viser to you all"

Terry @ Frontier.
This discussion has been closed.