Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Quik-trak on slab question

I am hoping that The Wall can share some expertise/experience on a mud-room radiant panel floor job we are working on this week.

Rubber tubing installed in the 1980's has failed in a grade-level 4" concrete slab (with 2"rigid insulation below). We will remove the existing thin-set ceramic tiles and install Wirsbo quik-trak on the slab. The radiant "sub-floor" will be covered with backer-board and the finish treatment will be large ceramic tile laid in thin-set. The heat loss calcs work out fine.

How would you suggest we attach the quiktrak panels to the slab? Would a strong adhesive (like PL400) be sufficient? Powershots?

And how would you affix the tile-backer board (3/8") to the quiktrak (1/2")? Adhesive? Usually, with a wood sub-floor below the quiktrak we would just screw through.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Greg

Comments

• paul lessard_2
    paul lessard_2 Member Posts: 192
    I think I heard about a cool tool here on the wall

http://www.itw-ramset.com/trakfast_index.asp
    looks like a good excuse for another tool:-)
  • John Felciano
    John Felciano Member Posts: 411
    Trakfast

is the tool I have used.It works well in this situation and is cheaper per shot than a Hilti type.

Since the floor already has radiant I assume the slab is insulated below.I would attach the climate panel/quicktrack directly to the cement.The tile backer is than installed with thinset and more of the same Trakfast pins.

I did my showroom in much the same way and it worked out very well.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John Felciano
    John Felciano Member Posts: 411
    Trakfast

is the tool I have used.It works well in this situation and is cheaper per shot than a Hilti type.

Since the floor already has radiant I assume the slab is insulated below.I would attach the climate panel/quicktrack directly to the cement.The tile backer is than installed with thinset and more of the same Trakfast pins.

I did my showroom in much the same way and it worked out very well.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Greg Durgin_2
    Greg Durgin_2 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks Paul and John.

That looks like a nice tool.

I have a hilti so can use some pins for both layers.

Yes John, there is insulation below the slab.

Thanks again for the advice.

Greg
  • Joel_3
    Joel_3 Member Posts: 166
    Float babyyyy

We've done it with a thin pad underneath then floated the climate panels and covered with 3/8 plwood stapled to the panels to lock them together topped that with floating laminate wood and carpet worked great. probably not stiff enough for tile though.
This discussion has been closed.