Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe Sizing

Options
Climate Creator
Climate Creator Member Posts: 103
Figured I would bounce this out and see what bounces back.. I have a client who called me in after his "plumber" abondoned him(too complicated?), Well any way, he has a slantfin boiler (L30) connected to an old gravity system or early circ system. All 1-1/2" One zone right to the boiler. even has an extrol #30 and an old style tank..he says when he shuts the valve on the old tank, water leaks from the relief valve :) Well anyway he has now added a radiant floor zone to the mix and wnats me to tie it in. I stopped him from pouring today..they werent going to do a pressure test! so any way we have 3/8" pex down(I can still change this now) and now three loops instead of two because of the staple gun! (and they werent going to test!) any way I am wondering about the sizing of my supp/ret piping to the radiant manifolds and what circs/mixing valves I should be using? I like it better when they are new systems, this is my first retro, also what the thoughts were about the 1-1/2 existing zone(convectors) with a 007 on em' It was DIY now I am authorized to rip and redo if necessary (they used some no name brand pex 3/8" I would've used 1/2" wirsbo. What are your thoughts guys?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Save this number

800 873 4346. That connects you with us at Slant/Fin, and we can help with your piping diagram, and anything else you might need.

Be careful that the return water that goes into the boiler gets blended with hot water so that the temperature is above 130 degrees.

How are you planning to control the radiant water temperature?

Noel
  • Climate Creator
    Climate Creator Member Posts: 103
    Options

Ok I WILL save the number, however you were not there! :) Have a Nice Vacation!! I have used a manual butterfly valve in the past on all new installations, but as I say this is my first retro, without redoing all near boiler piping. Maybe a thermostatic valve would be the way to go?

Thanks,
    Rich
This discussion has been closed.