Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Novan FXB100D optimizer

I can't seem to find out who is the manufacturer of a Novan heat exchanger. Specifically a Novan FXB100D optimizer. We are hoping to repair one for a customer, but I can't locate any information on the manufacturer or Novan itself. Can anyone direct me?

Comments

• Steve Miller
    Steve Miller Member Posts: 115
    Novan heat exchangers

You're going to have to use a flate plate heat exchanger or use a tank with a doublewall coil. Novan used mainly closed loop systems with either propylene glycol or Bray oil as the transfer fluid. If it was Bray oil, you'll need to flush the loop and flush with TSP because I don't believe you can get bray oil any longer. Plus you can set up a better way to charge the system than what Novan did with the check valve between the boiler drains and do a better job of isolating componets. A good supply house with hydronic know how, should be able to help you out.

Steve
  • Noranda...

made the DHW coil. They no longer make it. You might try contact my landlord, Zeke Verbeck at DEGsolar@aol.com He might have a spare layihng around. I know he has the spa heat exchangers, not sure about the DHW exchangers

ME
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 765
    Novan was in Boulder, CO

They went out of business years ago. I installed many of them up until about 1985. That was when solor died with the tax credits. I actually have a Novan FXB1000SD. It was used to heat domestic water as well as a spa. It has 2 heat exchangers on it with a 3way Honeywell zone valve to divert from one to the other. Novan used Noranda(sp) heat exchangers which where copper tube inside of a copper tube. They were 9 feet long so they looped them in a circle and mounted them on a board along with the pumps and valves and called it a "module". It even has a "Dual Load" priority controller. I have a few Novan sensors too. It has all been in my garage for years and I have often thought about using it in my own house but never got around to it.
    Dave Stroman
This discussion has been closed.