Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cold start cast iron boilers

Options
Joe_13
Joe_13 Member Posts: 201
I've only been able to find NY Thermal's Odyssey
oil fired boiler as rated to run return water temps down to 90 degrees. Anyone have experience with these boilers? Any other cold start oil fired boilers out there? I know Laars makes the MAX which I think is steel, but I don't see any minimum water temp requirements.

Comments

• heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    To my knowledge....

The Viessmann Vitola is the only non-condensing oil fired product with no lower limit on return water temps when hooked to a heating system.

hb

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• bill clinton_3
    bill clinton_3 Member Posts: 111
    Options
    Buderus too (nm)

• kf_2
    kf_2 Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Buderus low limit

While the Buderus does have an injection tube that pulls hotter water from the bottom of the casting to mix with the cooler water coming back from the system, it still has a low limit restriction of about 100 degrees. I may be off by 10 degrees in either direction.

The Vitorond, Viessmann's entry level oil boiler, has a similar injection tube design to protect the boiler to similar temps.

The Vitola however, Viessmann's Flagship, because of the air gap between the cast iron rings and the steel vessel, can see return temps as low as 50 degrees without condensing on the fire side or causing thermal shock.

kf

This discussion has been closed.