Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lennox cast iron boilers???

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
recently installed boiler. I'm not sure who manufactures this boiler for Lennox, and the installation manual was missing.

Isn't this considered a Category 3 appliance, and as such requires a AL-29 4C vent material?

Went to the Lennox web site but they do not show this boiler in their literature.

Our local mechanical inspector passed the installation, but I wonder if he missed something?

hot rod
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• Jim S
    Jim S Member Posts: 82
    Options
    I thought

that lennox boilers were manufactured by dunkirk.
  • steve_6
    steve_6 Member Posts: 243
    Options
    lennox boilers

Lennox,Bryant,Pennco,Carrier, Payne
    Utica boilers are manufactured by Dunkirk
  • Tony_8
    Tony_8 Member Posts: 608
    Options
    depends

on termination. Sidewall obviously is cat 3. B-vent or masonry chimney to code height is cat 1. It's definitely a Dunkirk.
  • Floyd_3
    Floyd_3 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Looks like there's some other problems...

there also, HR

Wish you had a pic from further back...

2- #30 extrols???? what fer system was this on???

Was that little sucker hooked to an old gravity system??

I have installed a number of those that were Pennco's, they are much more eff. if you adda relay in so that when the burner is off the blower shuts down also...otherwise the blower will run as long as there is a call for heat cooling off the boiler and blowing the heat up the vent.
  • Tony_8
    Tony_8 Member Posts: 608
    Options
    they do now

Inducer is wired to burner circuit in Aquastat relay w/ pressure switch "legging" the module.
  • Paul Mitchell
    Paul Mitchell Member Posts: 266
    Options
    looks like

a weil mclain cgi, can vent direct or out a linedor b vent chimney

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    thanks y'all

yes it is a gravity conversion, and it does vent into an old brick chimney, it may be lined? I'd like to see it pumping away, but hey...

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    If it isn't lined

it won't last long.

The attached pics show what happened to masonry lined chimney that had a fan assisted furnace venting into it.

The chimney lasted about 2 years after the furnace was installed.

We measured 8ppm CO ambient upon entering the house and 265ppm CO in the basement when the unit fired.

After we installed a chimney liner the HO said it was the first time they had seen exhaust coming out of the chimney.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • MikeB34
    MikeB34 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Manufactured by...

Dunkirk..
  • tim from Reed Wright
    tim from Reed Wright Member Posts: 113
    Options
    Lennox, er dunkirk boiler

One thing I see that I would definately do is support those expansion tanks. When the finally water log, they will break that horizontal piece of pipe.
  • MikeB34
    MikeB34 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Liners

Yup...was definetly an oversized chimney. In Canada, the use of liners is very much mandated, just for this reason.
  • Maggie Reed
    Maggie Reed Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Actually...

The boilers mentioned above are all manufactured by ECR International. Dunkirk, Utica, Pennco and Ultimate are all brands of ECR International boilers.
    ECR does also manufacture boilers for Carrier, Bryant, Payne and Lennox.
    Kind Regards,
    Maggie Reed Lutz -
    Marketing -
    ECR International

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• peter desens
    peter desens Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Lennox boiler

The photo appears to be showing a Lennox GWB8, the same boiler as the Dunkirk XEB. These boilers are approved for both category one and category three venting. Oddly enough, the XEB dunkirk allows for through-the-wall venting w/AL294C, but Lennox requires the use of a Field venter for GWB8 horizontal venting.

As for vertical venting, if the B-vent used is properly sized for the boilers BTU's, it can be used for category one vertical venting through the roof of the GWB8 boiler.

Peter Desens
    Technical Service Manager
    ECR International - Dunkirk Boilers
This discussion has been closed.