Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil fired condensing boiler

Options
AKO
AKO Member Posts: 34
Anyone had a good, bad or other experience with an oil fired condensing boiler (NG not avail. in my neighborhood)? I know of only two mfrs - Monitor and Viessmann. Both are expensive. I could buy at least 3 Weil-McLains for their price.

I like the alternative of having full OA reset with the condensing boilers. However, could accomplish the same with primary-secondary with injection pump or mixing valve.

Comments

• kf_2
    kf_2 Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Oil Fired Condensing Boilers

Viessmann actually doesn't have a condensing oil boiler available in the U.S. Mainly because the sulphur content of U.S. oil is to high which makes the condensation to corrosive for even stainless steel. So if you do use one makes sure you properly treat your oil.

The other issue is that the dew point for oil is low, 117 degrees farenheit. So it is much harder to bennefit from low water temps.

kf
  • Unknown
    Options
    Take a look

at the Opus Oil-fired boiler from Burnham. It has a 90% AFUE rating without being a condensing boiler. It has built-in primary-secondary piping with variable speed injection to control flow through the boiler to the system. It is eqipped with outdoor reset (Tekmar based) and also comes equipped with a pre-wired six zone zoning control with 15 foot cord. Domestic priority is also incorporated into the system. The great thing is that the programming is so easy that anyone can do it. Here is a photo of one installed with a Riello burner in Massachusetts. The link is www.aboutopus.com or it can be seen at the Burnham web site at www.burnham.com .

Glenn Stanton

Burnham Hydronics
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Vitola Biferral

Andy,

As Kevin stated, with the crap we have for fuel oil here in the states, condensing oil isn't worth the issues that are sure to arise. The Vitola from Viessmann is as good as it gets when it comes to oil fired equipment. No lower limit to return water when attached to a heating system (not ice melt). It is my oil system of choice.

hb

Vitola Biferral

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.