Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

electric residental boilers

Options
Goat  Sr
Goat Sr Member Posts: 7
Has anyone heard any pro or cons regarding residental electric boilers.

Comments

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

One "pro" is that if I installed one it would cost less to run this coming winter than natural gas--mainly because natural gas is being used ELSEWHERE to generate electricity!!!!

Go figure.
  • Goat  Sr
    Goat Sr Member Posts: 7
    Options
    does anybody know of a good residential electric boiler

I am looking for a good residential electric boiler to install in my new small log cabin. Approx 960 sq ft. This will be the main heat source. It is a four season vacation home. It runs along the Canadian Border. It will be chilly soon!!!!!!! Any suggestions
  • Joe_13
    Joe_13 Member Posts: 201
    Options
    Electric strip heat

Isn't an electric boiler less efficent then strip heat? To get the water and cast iron up to temp and then the need to run a circulator must take a lot of power. I guess you must use a gylcol mix in case of freezing from power outages.
    Doesn't strip heat's direct radiation into the house a better solution? Maybe a heatpump with strip heating like a PTAC unit. You would get A/C, heat pump efficency until it got real cold, then it switches over to electric strip. For a single room cabin, one or two units should do it. I hope you got a wood stove or fireplace insert also.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,242
    Options
    Energy can neither be

created or destroyed. In the big picture :) While it is true the cast iron and water will take more time and energy to warm, that energy is still available to distribute after the elements go off. Actually makes an nice heat sink (as long as the boiler is within the conditioned space.)

Problem with air is it is a poor conductor and transporter of heat. It tends to rise when warmed causing really warm temperatures at the ceiling (often high loss areas) and cool temperatures at the floor level where we spend our times.

Nothing beats warm floors or panel or baseboard convectors for ideal temperature conditions atthe level the homeowners occupy.

Granted the FA would probabaly be a quicker response system, and the freeze issues go away. I still feel hydronics would provide that "cozy cabin feel" best.

Depending on the load of that 900 sq. ft. a basic electric water heater may be adequate. With a 5500 watt element you have 18,700 BTU/hr. available. 900 sq. feet at 20 BTUs / square foot fits nicely :) Do a quick calc the "nail down" your actuall needs!

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.