Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

WHY ??? Do they...........

Options
Bill NTSG
Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
I had to hook up a hydro air job saturday. The unit was supplied by the A/C guy. It was a Heat-Controller brand I think. Question is , WHY ? did they silver braze the caps on the hot water coil supply and return? With much heat and some bad language and a wasted hour I had to braze a coupling on the supply & return to hook up my pipe.

If this is common practice I can assure I will NEVER install this product again. Why? This is bull*&^%, ever happen to you? Just venting.................

Comments

• Floyd_2
    Floyd_2 Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Calm down .....

Bill, the caps are factory bazed after being pressurized to keep the coil clean... I'm sure it is just easier because that is what the are working with to make the coil.

First!!!! Always make sure you drill the caps!!!! they can be deadly if you heat them with the pressure behind them... they come off easier, but can make nasty holes in stuff....yes....this is the voice of experience!!!!

Second... the pipe at the cap is usually flared so you can just remove the cap and solder the pipe inside....

Also don't try to remove the caps unless you have a very hot torch... I use a oxy/acetelene torch and it makes the job a cinch....

I agree it can be a PITA but they are all the same...so you got to deal with it no matter what :-)

• Bill NTSG
    Options
    Hey Floyd,

Yeah thanks, take a pill and chill, I know.......But I guess what I was getting at.... I have installed many many hydro coils but this was the first one I found brazed shut. Just a little unnecessary in my lowly opinion. Other brands have nothing or a little red plastic cap.

I found the pressure when drilled a sheetmetal screw into the cap to pull it off. I did not want to crush the pipe with pliers. I did not supply the equipment and lost a lot of time so I suppose that is where the anger comes from. I still think it is b.s.
  • Scott G.
    Scott G. Member Posts: 15
    Options

Hey Bill, many times you can releive the press. and use a tubing cutter on em' S.O.B.'s
  • eleft_4
    eleft_4 Member Posts: 509
    Options
    pita

Hey Bill,
    You need to stop scolding yourself, smile and deal with it, this too shall pass!

Did you get the new software installed?
    al
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Hey Floyd!

Are you a pharmacist now?

You could get in lots of trouble prescribing pills without a liscense over the internet.

Mr.Nye has a very good point!

YOU GO BILL!!!!!!!

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    Like an A coil

If the stub is long enough I cut the cap off if it's short I drill a small hole in the center of the cap and put in a self tap screw and use the turbo torch to heat the jount while I pull on the screw. Keeps the pipe round. As the other guys said do cut to relieve pressure before you try the torch.
  • Bill NTSG
    Options
    The tubing

does not stick far enough out from the cabinet to cut it off. I am going to do the attic unit right now. Solder would be ok , but why braze on a hot water coil that is only going to see 15psi operating pressure. Many products are charged w/nitrogen and only have rubber plugs................
This discussion has been closed.