Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

UNico hv system

Options
Paul_6
Paul_6 Member Posts: 88
hard start kit for this unit. it would consist of a larger capacitor and a start relay. basicly it will boost the start up voltage for the compressor, and then drop out when it is running. should help. Paul

Comments

• Dan M
    Dan M Member Posts: 50
    Options
    UNico system and voltage drop

I have a new unico central air system in my old house. The system is powered by a 3.5 ton unit (Heil). The installers did a good job and I am pleased with the systems design and cooling performance. My house has a fairly new 200 amp service. When the unit kicks on their is a very momentarly voltage drop ( lights flicker sharply). The lights do not stay dim and my voltage at outltets is within normal limits after the initial drop. My lights will flicker when my well runs also but not near this noticable. I know this is a factor of the current draw of the unit and this unit draws a lot of current but I dont notice this severe of a drop in other homes with central air. If your standing in a room with the lights on you definatly know when the unit has kicked on. I live in a rural area on the end of a long service run and mayby this is a factor. The unit was wired by a electrician who told me he gets asked this a lot and just blaims it on the size of the unit. Is this common or shouild I press a little harder
  • tim smith1
    tim smith1 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    volt drop

I would make sure all the lugs are in good shape on main panel and all lugs tightened down. Have someone check your incoming voltage. If low call your utility. Not normal for a small 3.5 ton a/c to do that. If loads are proper on panel I would suspect low incoming or excessive line loss on utility side.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    \"Leg Lag\"

I don't know what else to call it but that's what I call it when one "side" of 220v runs lower in voltage than the other.

I notice this problem all over (and to varying degrees) in my town depending on time of year and physical location. Not only is it "static" meaning one leg has significantly less voltage (I've measured upwards of 10) than the other with little load, but it can spike when a 220v A/C unit starts.

It got REALLY bad three summers ago. I was in the basement alone and it was quiet save the noise of the dehumidifier. I noticed that its "tone" would change--sometimes quite drastically--and always suddenly but for fairly long periods.

I found this happened in concert with the big three-phase chiller serving the University building below my property. I called the utility company and they sent out a lineman who "traced" the problem to a few blocks away, telling me that "Cape has a tightly regulated electrical system."

Much of the problem disappeared, but there was still some "lag" and my lights continued to dim significantly when the A/C kicked on. (All new wiring and the A/C wiring is generally at least one gauge higher than required, and none of the 110v circuits are loaded excessively.)

Called again and wrote the MO Public Service Commission. Utility company did "something" and now the lag is essentially gone and light dimming is nearly imperceptible when A/C units kick in.

This discussion has been closed.