Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old Boiler, new radiant

Options
Wayco Wayne
Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
If I had sized the baseboard at 165 I could have matched supply temps and saved on the controls and the extra cics and piping. The radiant floor is suspended and max temps are at 165 F. Unfortanately I sized the baseboard for 180 because it was expensive stuff and I was watching the bottom line. Could have traded off on it though if I'd thought of it. Are you going to have constant circ or re-set on this job?? ww

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=255&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Wayco Wayne
    Options
    I am about to

tap into an old boiler, typical B & G 100 on the return, to add 2 radiant zones. I have 2 injection circs going to 2 remote manifolds. Any Ideas about piping strategies to do this. It will have tekmar controls so return temp protection is built in.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    I just added

two radiant zones to a 60 vintage baseboard home. Actually I removed fin tube from the kitchen (for a remodel and new floor project) and also a living room that will be tiled.

I calced the place and discovered the balance of the home could be handled with 160 supply, tons of baseboard. I used Wirsbo suspended tube running the same temperature. A quick simple install for a total of about 650 square feet. It had basement and crawl space below for easy acess.

If you go two temperatures, I'd repipe P/S at the boiler and run the mix. Consider the Wirsbo 212, I think (two injection mixes in one box) Mini tube would also work but requiring a pump at the manifold location.

The 3 way thermostatic is another simple method for small areas. try this link for more ideas.

hot rod

http://www.pmmag.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/features/BNP__Features__Item/0,2379,62497,00.html

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    How is ..

the older heat zoned? Valves? circs? One zone or more?What I have done in the past is to create a "primary loop" with a zone valve and thn take the injection loop off that.I then tied the zone valve to open off TT on the pump relay. Does that make sence? kpc
  • Wayco Wayne
    Options
    The old system

in the existing house is just an old gravity fed radiator loop that was updated when the boiler was replaced to have a circulator. I could go P/S but was looking for alternatives to save time and money. I was thinking of using the Wirsbo 212 or Tekmar alternative, because my 2 VSI loops are different temps, a radiant floor on the first floor of an addition, and some fancy radiant baseboard that is made by Hydronics specialties on the second floor. WW

• hydronicsmike
    hydronicsmike Member Posts: 855
    Options
    I'd do either...

...one of the two options mentioned. Depending on what you actually want at the end would determine the actual products I use.
    I would go with dual mixing, but the question is whether or not you want continuous circulation (if they are both single zones). If thats the case, you'd need indoor temperature feedback which you would gain by installing a sensor in the space. Now the question would be whether or not you like to have digital display with temperature adjustment in the zone directly, or not. If you do, you'd have to use 062RTUs, one for each zone, and then use two 362 Mixing Controls.
    If you only want temperature feedback for continuous circulation, but a digital read-out with temperature adjustment is not required right in the zone itself, then you could opt for two 361s (or Wirsbo212) with standard indoor sensors connected to those. The temperature adjustment would be done at the control.

If you have more than one zone on each temperature, you could still use the same products as mentioned, but without the indoor sensors of course.

I hope this helps.

Mike
This discussion has been closed.