Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

My shot at a wine rack

Options
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger when it comes to doing something stupid like touching hot copper. I had just fiished un-sweating a hose bibb faucet, pulled if off the wall with my pliers, set it on the walk, the homeowner was standing nearby, I picked it up with my fingers and dropped it immediately. The homeowner said "hot huh", I said "nope,it just doesn't take me long to look at a hot faucet"

Comments

• Bryan_5
    Bryan_5 Member Posts: 270
    Options
    My shot at a wine rack

I have a friend that is getting married in a month and saw the wine rack that was made for MR. Bean. So I decided to give it a go. It is almost done. I have used a few different parts but my friend will never know that. It looks pretty good so far. This will be a little more special now that I got a trip to the Dr's office out of it. Still shaking my head at my own stupidity. I was just finishing up with sweating the copper and grabbed the damn pipe to turn the rack. I was pretty lucky only get second degree burns across my fingers and palm. So I got my reminder not to rush through anything. I hope I am not the only one here that has made that brilliant mistake. I will post the finished product in the next week or so.

One more question. I have been kicking around the idea of giving it an antique type finish. I saw a recipe involving vinegar and lemon juice somewhere. Anyone have any ideas on that?
    Bryan
  • Unknown
    Options
    tarnish-patina

Bryan,

Copper lamp makers use Hoarse Urine to patina copper (make it look old).

wheels
  • Bryan_5
    Options

Steve,
    I will probly pass on the horse urine. Thanks for the idea though. I dont have a lot of access to that particular product:)
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,539
    Options
    Wheels

Is that urine that stays up all night and screams? ;-)
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Stained Glass Shops

Will have various chemicals to artificially "age" copper to different states. While the "real" verdi-gris ONLY comes with time, there are some reasonably convincing approximations.
  • Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Options
    Bryan.

Show us a picture when you're done. (I get it Dan. Hoarse unine, ar, ar). :)WW

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Bryan_5
    Options

I will definitly post the picture. I thought it would be a fun project and a great gift idea. Hopefully I will have it all done within the next week.
    Bryan
  • HAHAHAHAHA

ROFL

I've done a few of those quick inspections myself!

Most recently I was using my electroninc meat thermometer. I usually just poke the meat, hold the themometer, look at the temp and pull it out. A friend of mine said, just leave it in.... so I did. Then I pulled it out so I could remove the meat from the pan.

Damn thing stuck to my hand... ouch.

• Bryan_5
    Options

Well I am glad to hear that I am not the only one. I posted this topic mainly to find this out. My hand is all most all better. Treated it properly and have had a good quick recovery. Its amazing to me that more of us dont kill ourselves with the stupid things we do. I think the key is to just slow down abit.
    Bryan
  • Patrick_21
    Patrick_21 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Throw me on that list also - was over at my parents house cutting up a downed tree and the chain was getting loose on my saw. So I turned it off and went to flip it over and sure enough I stuck my finger right in the exhaust. It was one of those that took a couple of seconds to register and man did that hurt. Throbbed for 2 days-entire tip of finger was blistered.

Missed the other wine rack, would like to see this one - sounds cool.
  • chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    Options
    We could probally

all write a book about the stupid things we have done. And every book would have the same stories. A different location, different circumstance, but the same stories. The differance between doing something stupid, and gaining experiance: experiance comes the first time you do something. Doing something stupid is when you do it again.

Chuck

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.