Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A.O. Smith Burkay

Options
Tommy Stojanov
Tommy Stojanov Member Posts: 16
Hello, I'm looking for the fellow who gave me the specs on the Burkay that I installed in my family's restaurant. Thought you might be interested in the pics of my installation as well. Thanks for your help. I had a NOS bronze Teel on the shelf (magnetic coupled), and had a hell of a time with that loosing prime, etc., so I just picked up a Stainless Grundfos and called it a day. Although my Delta T jumped from 20 to 35, each pump was supposedly equivalent to a B&G 100 series, but no one is perfect. Until I get above a 40D F delta T, I won't worry, as this is within factory specs. As for the thermal balancer, I just used a solid state TD off relay, and use 24V to the tank stat, which ran 2 relays, one for combustion and one for the main pump. The first storage tank I had (was used) leaked at a weld (galvanic corrosion?), so off to my local A.O. Smith dealer to get a new TJV120. They are happy, higher efficiency water heater, cleaner dishes, less for me to worry about, you know the deal. Nice part is I only had 2 leaking joints, not bad for a 16 year old in my view. All of those who doubted what I was doing, I am not your everday kid.

Comments

• Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    Do you remember

How your helper "titled" his comment to you? If so: click 'search' and enter that title in and this dandy web site will recover it for you!
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    You're welcome Tommy...

glad to see it all worked out. I had no doubt that you are not a "normal" 16 year old:-)

If you ever get out to Colorado, let me know. I'm sure I can find you some work as an apprentice.

The only problems with a high delta T is that if your water is hard, you won't get the required scouring action needed to keep the water side of the heat exchanger clean, and lime scale will build up and destroy the efficiency of the heater. Keep an eye on the delta T. If it gets too big you'll need to clean it with acid.

Got pictures?

ME
This discussion has been closed.