Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Some radiant food for thought

Options
Floyd_2
Floyd_2 Member Posts: 52
However just thinking off the top of my head... there would be some real problems with condensation with the construction....20, 30, 40, degreee temp. differences with just foil between them... sounds like a rain maker to me.

Still it sounds like something that should be checked out.. the concepts are very interesting, and I don't think we have come to grips with the real value of reflective energy...yet

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,530
    Options
    For your consideration

Radiant Reflections
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Architects & most decorators

You realize, of course, that they have a definite "thing" AGAINST wallpaper, not to mentioning covering windows!

Seriously though I do believe that there are some paints made that claim to form a radiation barrier--don't know though if that translates well to a radiation reflector.

Too many good ideas, but too little time and too few $$s.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    I went to Cincinnati

on June 22 and found the house. I've written to the owner and am waiting to hear whether this place still has the original heating equipment.

How I found the house was a lot of fun. I did some research on the Fairview Incline, which came down in 1920. I found archival photos and a shot-from-space view of where it once was. I knew that the house was at the upper terminus. I took the photo to the people at the Marriott in Covington, KY (where we were staying) and the concierge recognized the roads. He found it for me on a map and Marianne and I went searching. You can see the house from the highway. We worked our way up the hill, taking lots of wrong turns along the way, and found it. It was Sunday morning and I didn't want to disturb anyone so I just took the address.

Here's the best part. Thompson P&H of Cincinnati did work on the house when it was being built. That company has since changed hands three times. I called them a while back to tell them about the house and they got interested. They contacted the Ohio library system and got a copy of Dr. Mills' book. They mailed me a copy, which arrived after we had returned. There was a copyright page in their book, which wasn't in mine. The copyright was 1950 (I was off by one year) and the ADDDRESS of the place was right there on the page.

Still think my way was more fun.
    Retired and loving it.
  • doug_10
    doug_10 Member Posts: 102
    Options
    Sounds like a fun adventure...

Did TLM laugh (or cry) when you saw the address in the book? :-)

Is it possible to get a copy of that book? Sounds like pretty interesting reading...how's his writing style? Hopefully like yours...

Take care, PJO
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    She laughed

and so did I.

I've been searching for the book for months but can't seem to find it in any of the old book stores. It was self-published and that's the problem. It's almost like a So There! book. Dr Mills' writing style is very down to earth. You can feel his enthusiasm. The book is filled with drawings, which is how we were able to recognize it when we saw it. I would LOVE to add this one to my library.
    Retired and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.