Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

what do you guys call it

Aidan (UK)
Aidan (UK) Member Posts: 290
I didn't know why they were called syphons/siphons either.

I thought a siphon was a hose you'd use to drain a tank by gravity. I looked it up. It seems a siphon is just a small pipe. It makes more sense now. I prefer 'pigtail'.


  • Mason
    Mason Member Posts: 102
    where can I get one

    We have always called the looped pipe that provides a water seal to prevent a pressure control from getting "steamed" a pig-tail. Apparently that is not what too many suppliers call them. I am having trouble locating a place to purchase them. HELP!!!

  • Art Pittaway
    Art Pittaway Member Posts: 230
    Pig Tail

    If your PVF Supplier doesn't know what a pig tail fitting is you should give serious consideration to other outlets. Or, have them get out a few Gauge catalogs, most, like Trerice, Marshalltown, Marsh, U.S. Gauge, etc. will have pig tails for sale in brass or steel. To many of the "New" counter help just don't have a grasp of the proper terms, some don't want to, be polite, firm and instruct. Good luck!
  • Pig tail siphon loop (NM)

  • Aidan (UK)
    Aidan (UK) Member Posts: 290
    We call them

    U-syphons or ring Syphons. I think 'pigtail' is self-explanatory.

  • pfitter_14
    pfitter_14 Member Posts: 1

    State Supply
  • Mason
    Mason Member Posts: 102
    Thanks Guys

    Thank You. Syphon, huh never would have called it that.... I liked "pigtail" too. Anyhow already ordered them thanks again.

  • Tom Meyer
    Tom Meyer Member Posts: 300

    It has been said the Americans and the British are separated by a common language.

    In the US, we spell "syphon" as "siphon". It might make more sense to the Yankees you're dealing with. 8-)

    Senior Designer/Trainer
    Precision Hydronics Corporation
This discussion has been closed.