Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

\"Real\" output of hydronic towel warmer

Options
Any idea how much a towel warmer outputs to the room in true operation, i.e. loaded with towels?

I HATE wasting energy by putting in heat to a room when the A/C is working hard, but those warm fluffy towels are awfully nice!

I don't [seem] to see much difference with/without the towel warmer as the bath stays about 2° warmer than the bedroom as per design.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    The output

in the "nude" mode would be easy to calculate. Add the r- value of the towels I suppose, to get the adjusted output.

Of course you could measure the flow rate and delta t on S&R with and without the towels, and calculate it also. If you know any two variables the math is simple. Q= 500 X flow rate X delta T

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Proportion!

Thanks Hot Rod!!!

Based on delta-t alone between "nude" and covered I can arrive at a reasonable PROPORTION of reduction.

For "actual" and verification I have to compute "nude" flow (unknown) based on delta-t (avg temp) and mfgr. supplied output, then assume that flow stays constant (gravity loop) when covered.

Sometimes I make things WAY too hard!!
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    Burnham Heating Helper

"Heat Losses From Bare Tarnished Copper Tube" pg 47

pg 48 has heat loss factors for insulated piping. Figuring a fluffy towell will drape over & cover at least 50% of the tube, it looks like you could simply cut those numbers in half.

To calculate your gravity flow (if you want to get more precise Btu numbers), turn off the circuit & let it cool to room temp. While it's off, run the faucet out at its end until that's up to full temp. Then turn the loop back on and time how long it takes to travel, which can then be calculated for flow rates based upon time and tubing diameter.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.