Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Covering radiant floor.

Options
input, I think we are going to leave the floor alone.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Covering radiant floor

My latest project is my son's new home. He has an area with radiant in the concrete with 4" of cover. This is going to be his workshop for woodworking in the area under his garage. He wants to cover the concrete with 3/4" plywood strips (glued) and then put 3/4" oak wood flooring over it.

What are your thoughts on this? Any better suggestions or would he be better off leaving the cement floor alone?
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    was the wood figured...

when the heat loss and calcs. were done? If not you might want to redo and figure in the extra upward resistance. You will probably have to increase you water temp.Why ad the wood? Cement would clean up sawdust easier that the strip oak.... kpc
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Consider using......

an engineered wood floor, Timmie. Can be glued directly to the slab more readily than stip hardwood. This is assuming we are talking on grade, rather than below grade, slab. If it's below grade, go with a laminate such as Pergo, etc.

hb

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Unknown
    Options
    The wood floor

is an after thought on the part of my son. It was not in the original plan. That is why I posted this question as I was wondering what others have done in this situation. If it is going to be a problem we will forgo the wood at least that is my suggestion. I am still open to hear from some others on what to do. Thanks to those who have responded so far.
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    skip the strips

the air gap under the hardwood will cut way down on the heat transfer. i would stay with cement, but if you go with wood i would use the engineered products also, just make sure you have a proper vapor barrier. bob
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Options
    I've seen

a poly floor covering that is poured on top of concrete that gives the floor a polished shiny look. A cutomer of mine that builds racing bikes had it in his garage. Looks sharp. Cleans up even better than concrete. WW

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.