Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tap broken off in hole...Need help to remove...Boilerpro

Options
Art Pittaway
Art Pittaway Member Posts: 230
doesn't give you any room, if you have a moto-tool/die grinder/10,000 rpm little grinders, with a fine grinding disk about 1 1/2" dia. and 1/32" thick, you can slice a slot in the tap for a screwdriver. Any hardware or Sears has them. My kid has one and you can cut the damdest stuff. Good luck, Art

Comments

• Boilerpro_3
    Boilerpro_3 Member Posts: 1,231
    Options
    Broken tap

Any suggestions on how to get a broken off 1/8 inch npt tap out of a radiator. It's broken off right at the surface. I figured if I can't get it out i may try soldering it in place or use epoxy. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Yes, it happened while converted two pipe steam rads to hot water...I guess the steam gods were angry.

Boilerpro
  • Tony Conner
    Tony Conner Member Posts: 549
    Options
    They Make...

... a tool for just such a situation. It's got two prongs that slide down into the tap flutes, and you turn it with a tap wrench. They work about 50% of the time. If you can heat the tap, and the area around it, that'll help too.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    I've had some luck.....

Using an old fashioned "radiator tool" . It has an easy-out built on the opposite end of a 1/8th thread chaser. The botton of the tee shaped gadget has a 1/8th dye on it and you use the top 2 pieces for the handle.

I would try soaking the offending broken threads in some kind of penetrating oil for the weekend(I doubt the folks will need heat) and give an easy out a shot on Monday. If all else fails, maybe drill out the center to within microns of the thread , and try to colapse the threads on themselves.

I feel your pain. I did a conversion from single pipe steam to hot water earlier this Spring. Managed to salvage 5 out of 6. The largest radiator had a hairline crack on the feed end, but luckily the homeowner had saved some of the same radiators from when the other updates were done. Best of luck. Chris
  • masterplumb
    masterplumb Member Posts: 93
    Options
    Removal

If it's brass I have had luck with a flat screwdriver. Get a flat screwdriver that's the same width as the threads. Tap the screwdriver so it makes a slot on the face of the broken piece, it may take a few hard taps, them just back it out. Ive never had one fail. Chris
  • John@Reliable_2
    John@Reliable_2 Member Posts: 104
    Options
    Broken tap blues

Boilerpro, this is what always works for me. Go buy a NEW set of drills only up to 1/4". I have found that the smaller sizes are only good for fine work once,so I buy a new set each time I need to do what you need to do.I start with a 4" grinder to make it really flush, center punch it, and then start w/ the smallest bit and don't skip any size until you are done. Yes, it's a pain always seems like you are changing bits,but it beats breaking a bit off too. When you are just about to right size take your new tap and clean out "new hole" and put in your plug.The above has never failed me. John@Reliable
  • Unknown
    Options
    Same here

Try spraying the broken piece with some WD-40 or equivalent and get a screwdriver to tap into the leftover nipple . Make sure the screwdriver is tapered so it goes in the hole for a better bite , and turn it out . Thats whats great about Craftsman screwdrivers , you can get it replaced for new after this trick .
  • Boilerpro_3
    Options
    Where can I find that tool, Tony....NM

• Boilerpro_3
    Options
    Thanks, Guys.....

The screwdriver trick probably won't work..... we're talking a hardened steel tread cutting tap here. I'll keep that idea for future reference, though. I'll be looking for that tool next, and then buying a new set of cobalt bits if that doesn't work.

Boilerpro
  • jerryb
    jerryb Member Posts: 113
    Options
    broken tap

Boilpro,taps are very hard tool steel,have had luck in past by chipping out with center punches(sometime it takes afew because they dull fast),just go slow and don't use too large of a hammer.Good Luck!!
  • Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Might be ugly......

... but if you have enough "meat" around the 1/8" thread you could use a hole saw bit just bigger than your broken tap and the drill and tap for 1/4 or 3/8 or even 1/2". I just bought a brand new [$28] 45/64th drill bit to tap 1/2" in brand new boilers. Cast iron is fairly soft and somewhat forgiving but only if you take 'yer time and go slow.
  • Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Options
    tap extractors

MSC Industrial Supply 1-800-645-7270 I use them for machine tools and other items. Usually next day Ups delivery at ground rates, and their prices are reasonable. Another source you can try is Grainger's
  • Tony Conner
    Options
    One Of My Sons...

...has picked them up at a local machinist's tool and cutter supply place. I'd never seen one before he showed it to me.

• Tony Conner
    Options
    I Don't Tap Many New...

...threads, it's usually cleaning up old chewy ones. So I've got a pretty cheap tap & die set for bolts, and pipe taps I picked up used. Very important to back the tap off a half turn every turn or so, to break the chips or crud. Also important is to use a proper tap wrench, so there's equal force on both sides of the tap.

Something that I never thought much about was drill bits. The same son who picked up the tap extractor turned me on to the best drill bits that the Snap-On guy carries. These ARE expensive, compared to other ones I've used, but I'll tell ya, if you drill any number of holes, these things absolutely rule. They make other bits look like you're trying to drill a hole with a pencil in the chuck. A fraction of the time to drill a hole, along with a fraction of the effort. And they just keep going. These will be hard to wear out.
  • jeff_13
    jeff_13 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    broken tap

if allelse fails hit the broken tap with a weld rod then back it out the rod has to stick to the tap i know its hard with 1/8 but its worth a try jeff
  • D lux_2
    D lux_2 Member Posts: 230
    Options
    If you can heat it try brazing a bolt to it

tin the bolt and the tap ends with brazing and then heat them both up and stick together . if this doesnt work braze the hole or try to drill as temper on tap should be removed . dont cool with H2o

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • MikeB34
    MikeB34 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Easy out

I can't remember who makes them, but my brother has a set of tools called "e-z outs. He's an automechanic, and they use them on broken bolts in engine blocks. Its essentially a reverse theaded tapered tap. You drill a small pilot hole, and just thead it in. it will thead a reverse thread and tighten (because its tapered) and will back out the broken piece. They work great, although I can't say if they make em to 1/8". heat it up first to crack any rust, and good luck.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    taps are very brittle

worse case drive the old piece in with a punch or nail set, and drill out the remaining hole to the next size (1/4") Then, if needed, insert a heli-coil, or flush brass bushing to bring it back down to 1/8". Use a hex brass bushing and grind or file the hex off after tightening it in, if you want it to disapper. Most auto parts have heli-coil kits or individual ones.

Be sure to use safety glasses when banging on taps they shatter and fly!

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Art Pittaway_2
    Art Pittaway_2 Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Hey BP.....Did you get it out????

and more important....HOW did you do it????
This discussion has been closed.