Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam system radiator is in the way

Options
Kynn Jones
Kynn Jones Member Posts: 4
I posted this in another forum (Fine Homebuilding's):

Hello! I'm getting ready to remodel my condo (an 1920s unit in New England). The building uses an old steam system, which means that I have to live with bulky radiators. Two of them are placed in such a way that they severely limit the possibilities for their rooms. I would like to replace them with something less bulky, or at least move them out of the way. It is my understanding that bulky radiators are simply inevitable with a traditional steam system. If this is the case, I guess my only alternative if I want to use steam heat is to find a way to move these radiators to less obtrusive locations (close to the windows, of course). Another alternative is to forgo the steam heating altogether, and install an electric HVAC unit (heat is included in my condo fees, and I doubt I'll be able to get out of paying it, but I may still be willing to go this route). I would love to read your comments on how best to deal with this situation.

One responder wrote back:

you can use a heat exchanger to convert steam to hot water giving lots more flexibility.

When I expressed interest and asked for clarification, the same responder wrote:

go to my dear friend Dan Holohan's website. buy his steam heating books and study them. based on your new information you will be able to make an informed decision which route to take and whether this is a DIY project or not. tell him Richard Miller sent you.

his site is www.HeatingHelp.com

So here I am. What books should I read (given that I want to complete this project in my lifetime)? Or should I accept my ignorance and hire a consultant?

Thanks!!!

Kynn

Comments

• Kynn Jones
    Options

Hello! I'm getting ready to remodel my condo (an 1920s unit in New England). The building uses an old steam system, which means that I have to live with bulky radiators. Two of them are placed in such a way that they severely limit the possibilities for their rooms. I would like to replace them with something less bulky, or at least move them out of the way. It is my understanding that bulky radiators are simply inevitable with a traditional steam system. If this is the case, I guess my only alternative if I want to use steam heat is to find a way to move these radiators to less obtrusive locations (close to the windows, of course). Another alternative is to forgo the steam heating altogether, and install an electric HVAC unit (heat is included in my condo fees, and I doubt I'll be able to get out of paying it, but I may still be willing to go this route). I would love to read your comments on how best to deal with this situation.

you can use a heat exchanger to convert steam to hot water giving lots more flexibility.

When I expressed interest and asked for clarification, the same responder wrote:

go to my dear friend Dan Holohan's website. buy his steam heating books and study them. based on your new information you will be able to make an informed decision which route to take and whether this is a DIY project or not. tell him Richard Miller sent you.

So here I am. What books should I read (given that I want to complete this project in my lifetime)? Or should I accept my ignorance and hire a consultant?

Thanks!!!

Kynn
  • Kynn Jones
    Options
    Steam system radiator is in the way

[ I'M SORRY!!! The subject line disappeared from my post! ]

Thanks!!!

Kynn
  • Al Letellier
    Al Letellier Member Posts: 781
    Options
    bulky radiators

Kynn,this site is visited by many of the very best in our industry. Go to "find a contractor" and call someone in your area to help you. There are too many variable to discuss or make suggestion in this forum, but generally, old radiators are oversized and there are alternatives. Check our www.steamradiators.com as an example. Good luck!

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Kynn.....

There are lots of folks from your area posting here . Try the bar on the left marked " Find A Contractor". I bet you'll get more than a few hits , and one of them will be able to point you in the right direction . There ARE many options , but be forwarned ....in a condo association, there may be some dissent in the ranks, RE: someone who would like the same things as you , and some who won't even consider the changes because of the costs . A great contractor will be able to find a happy medium . (no promises) . Best of luck . Chris
  • ronLD
    ronLD Member Posts: 8
    Options
    steam heat

Is this a one pipe or two pipe system.If you like steam heat and don't want to part with it I would keep the system and move the radiators.are the radiators accessable from below,basement or first floor ceiling.If you are renovating than patching a first floor ceiling would not be to troublesome.You do not want to switch to electric heat just because of two radiators.repipeing them is not a big deal.
This discussion has been closed.