Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anybody else getting these viruses?

Options
Dana Zaichkin
Dana Zaichkin Member Posts: 29
These nasty things are epidemic now. A good (and updated) AV program will hopefully clean away the attachments before you are given the chance to open them. Beside spam, there is the issue of "spyware" which you can acquire innocently with other downloads - and installs hidden programs on your PC which can then send information out about your PC to others. A friend told me about a program (among others) called "pest patrol" which can identify and clean spyware on your pc.

Good luck

DZ

Comments

• rudy_2
    rudy_2 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Anybody else getting these viruses?

Just curious if anyone else is getting viruses sent from 'tech' @ smithboiler, heatinghelp, carlincombustion, onwatchinc and/or beckettcorp?

In the past couple of weeks, I've gotten a bunch of them - my anti virus software has found them all and the text is obviously fishy, just wondering if it's something I'm doing or whether some of the rest of you have been getting these as well.

Also, if anyone wants to increase the size of their 'hose and probe assembly', let me know, I can forward you all those related emails I've been getting ;)!! Geeze, I swear I get at least a dozen a day....

Seriously, can anybody recommend a good anti spam program?

Thanks, rudy
  • Steve Bergerson
    Steve Bergerson Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Buy a Mac

We use Macs, and in the past 10 years have gotten zero viruses. Evidently, Macs are difficult to write viruses for, and most programmers (hackers) don't bother when peecee's are so much easier.
  • Patchogue Phil_3
    Patchogue Phil_3 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Not any more

> Just curious if anyone else is getting viruses

> sent from 'tech' @ smithboiler, heatinghelp,

> carlincombustion, onwatchinc and/or

> beckettcorp?

>

> In the past couple of weeks, I've

> gotten a bunch of them - my anti virus software

> has found them all and the text is obviously

> fishy, just wondering if it's something I'm doing

> or whether some of the rest of you have been

> getting these as well.

>

> Also, if anyone wants

> to increase the size of their 'hose and probe

> assembly', let me know, I can forward you all

> those related emails I've been getting ;)!!

> Geeze, I swear I get at least a dozen a day....

> Seriously, can anybody recommend a good anti spam

> program?

>

> Thanks, rudy

After I stopped putting my (legitimate) email address on forum postings, the spam and virus emails dropped 99%. Seriously.

I used to get (many many months ago) virus ladden email with veiled references to heating topics after each time I posted here and used my real email address. I know it is NOT Dan's site nor is it his fault. I know it is not anyone here doing it on purpose.

Sometimes a person gets a virus and they don't know it. then their PC acts like a virus "distributor" sending it out to all email addresses the virus can find in their PC. The virus often uses one email address found as a phony return address, so that the victims think it is from a buddy or aquaintance.

There are rogues who "harvest" email addresses for spam and for virus sending, from online forums. They have technical talent but use it for no good. Why, I don't know.

Bottom line, get an antivirus program like Norton Professional and set it to automatically scan incomming emails (and outgoing if u dont mind the delay). Also get the updates ON A DAILY BASIS. Manually updates get TODAYS updates. Autoupdates are often a few days to a week behind.

If you really need to use an email address on a forum (maybe to sign up first time), get a free email address at yahoo or hotmail. Then only check the email using the web-based email protals they provide. These have virus checking as part of the portal. Dont download attachments unless you know the person and then only if you have updated antivirus program running.

"lets be careful out there".
  • Patchogue Phil_3
    Patchogue Phil_3 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Not any more

After I stopped putting my (legitimate) email address on forum postings, the spam and virus emails dropped 99%. Seriously.

I used to get (many many months ago) virus ladden email with veiled references to heating topics after each time I posted here and used my real email address. I know it is NOT Dan's site nor is it his fault. I know it is not anyone here doing it on purpose.

Sometimes a person gets a virus and they don't know it. then their PC acts like a virus "distributor" sending it out to all email addresses the virus can find in their PC. The virus often uses one email address found as a phony return address, so that the victims think it is from a buddy or aquaintance.

There are rogues who "harvest" email addresses for spam and for virus sending, from online forums. They have technical talent but use it for no good. Why, I don't know.

Bottom line, get an antivirus program like Norton Professional and set it to automatically scan incomming emails (and outgoing if u dont mind the delay). Also get the updates ON A DAILY BASIS. Manually updates get TODAYS updates. Autoupdates are often a few days to a week behind.

If you really need to use an email address on a forum (maybe to sign up first time), get a free email address at yahoo or hotmail. Then only check the email using the web-based email protals they provide. These have virus checking as part of the portal. Dont download attachments unless you know the person and then only if you have updated antivirus program running.

"lets be careful out there".
  • Geo_2
    Geo_2 Member Posts: 76
    Options
    virus

I got a very nasty virus two weeks ago... trying to download free music (that's what I get). I watched helplessly as it shut down my anti-virus software and then my firewall...cpu began to run 100% ( I was being hacked). I'll pay for my music now thank you.
This discussion has been closed.