Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Low flow toilet recommendations please!

Options
Rich_2
Rich_2 Member Posts: 40
Universial Rundle makes cheap toilets that work well,try them out

Comments

• E. Holtman
    E. Holtman Member Posts: 15
    Options
    low flow toilet recommendaions please!

Not exactly HEATING, but I couldn't resist enlisting the aid of folks who care about their craft...
    I'm looking into replacing 25 toilets in apartments with low-flow. I want to save water, money, and just as important- repairs and flapper replacements (no more leaky flappers, very hard water here in Philly).
    The toilets are going into buildings built between 1880 and 1920, so mostly 4" cast iron waste lines.
    I'm leaning toward the PF/2 inards. Of course, I'd like something inexpensive as possible, hopefully in the $100-$150 range.
    Any suggestions, warnings, or input would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks for your time,
    Eli
  • Tom Meyer
    Tom Meyer Member Posts: 300
    Options
    Kohler Wellworth

They run about $100 each retail.

Senior Designer/Trainer
    Precision Hydronics Corporation
    www.precisionhydronics.com
  • HeavyP
    HeavyP Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Toilets

If youre looking for a basic toilet that performs excellent you must use Gerber....They dont sell to the big boxes, and I find they are one of the easiest toilets to install and repair.
  • HeavyP
    Options
    Toilets

If youre looking for a basic toilet that performs excellent you must use Gerber....They dont sell to the big boxes, and I find they are one of the easiest toilets to install and repair.
  • HeavyP
    Options
    Toilets

• HeavyP
    Options
    Toilets

• Andy Morgan_2
    Andy Morgan_2 Member Posts: 147
    Options
    I'll second that

The Wellworth by Kohler is a very good product for the money. Comes from the factory with the Fluidmaster ballcock already in it, Which is what most valves get replaced with anyway. We use them on economical jobs all the way thru high end custom homes. Plus the customer is happy to see the Kohler name, which around here is still considered to be the standard that fixtures get compared to.

The newest Gerber isn't bad either, they have also done away with the standard valve.

I just recently installed 2 of the "Wizard of OZ" toilets, and for what they cost, I am not too impressed by the them, considering all the local hype about them.

In My Opinion...

Andy Morgan

R Morgan Mechanical, LLC
  • Jackchips
    Jackchips Member Posts: 344
    Options
    Toilets

Second that.

Second that.

Second that.

• chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    Options
  • Lowell Thiesen
    Lowell Thiesen Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Toilets

I must disagree with the Toto endorsement, I have installed several but had to buy 6 of them to get 3 good ones with out defects. The rep just said "Oh well", so I said never again. I agree with the Kohler and Gerber endorsements.
  • E. Holtman
    E. Holtman Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks! Niagara?

Thanks all for the quick responses!
    I did some internet research today and came across the Niagara flapperless. This one got high marks in an independent(NAHB) test about a year ago. It's an interesting design that eliminates the flapper and chain mechanisms. (www.niagaraconservation.com) Has anyone had good or bad luck with this one? In quantity it's $85 plus shipping.
    TIA,
    Eli
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    fourth that

all we put in are toto's..they out perform all others in a commercial enviorment
  • Brian
    Brian Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Toilets

I'd go with the Kohler Wellworth.I've never had to replace one yet and Ive got at least a couple hundred out there.

Good Luck
    Brian
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    i use mansfield alto

they have worked great right from the start. recent testing was done in calif. for best flush. mansfield came in 4th. it was beat by 3 different types of toto. bob
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • masterplumb
    masterplumb Member Posts: 93
    Options
    Kohler Wellworth

I disagree with the Kohler endorsement for several reasons, but here are the main reasons. If you supply and install a toilet in your customers house, how do you justify charging your price, be it 300,400,500 dollars when the homeowner can see the same toilet in h.d. for $99? Secondly I hate their 3 bolt tank-to-bowl kit, If you try to tighten the bolts too much to stop the tank from some rocking it leaks. While I do like their faucets and other fixtures, I take a pass on the Wellworth. Just my opinion.I definitely would go with Gerber for a basic swap out,or install Chris
  • Andy Morgan_2
    Options
    Box Store Wellworths

I wondered about the price of these in HD, and unless it changed recently, the ones HD sell are from Texas,(which is probably cheap labor from Mexico) And the ones thru my whosalers are from I believe Wisconsin. At least that is what the box says!

Andy Morgan
    R Morgan Mechanical, LLC
  • Andy Morgan_2
    Options
    Box Store Wellworths

I wondered about the price of these in HD, and unless it changed recently, the ones HD sell are from Texas,(which is probably cheap labor from Mexico) And the ones thru my whosalers are from I believe Wisconsin. At least that is what the box says!

Andy Morgan

R Morgan Mechanical, LLC
  • Al Letellier
    Al Letellier Member Posts: 781
    Options
    low flush toilets

As in heating, there is no such thing as inexpensive and very good. We install hundreds of toilets and I agreed with a lot of the recommendations, but our best choice and the one we have the least trouble with is the Mansfield elongated toilets. They flush very well and I can't recall a single call for flushing problems. The Universal Rundle is a lousy toilet in our book. Did four house with them a couple of years ago and have since replaced all of them for flushing problems.
    To eliminate the flapper/ballcock senario, you can go to pressure assist flush units, but they are expensive to purchase and repair.
    There is no easy choice here, as the Kohler is a good unit but I agree that the tank to bowl gasket should be flushed.
    For my money, the Mansfield is the best of the rest.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Floyd_3
    Floyd_3 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    GO pressure assist....

put them in the ladies room at a local bar......HAS to be absouletly the WORST place for toilet abuse!!!!!!!

Didn't plug up til......THEY BROKE the darn handles OFF of them!!!!!!!

Then filled them FULL before they called anyone!!!!!!

Oh well................at least they called the OTHER plumber in town!!!!!!!!!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Terry_4
    Terry_4 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Caroma

You might take a look at the Caroma. It has a much larger trap than most, (nearly 4") dual flush, (.8gal and 1.6gal, it's made in Australia where water conservation is a serious issue). I put three in my own house a year ago and they do flush well. It's definitely not on the cheap side though, and you'll never see them at HD!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    I'm considering

a dual flush for the bath in my shop. saw one at My suppliers, it has two seperate buttons for solid or liquid flushes.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Maybe that's why

The last Wellworth I bought (Sunday at a "big box") had numerous finish flaws. Still recall a Kohler person (in WI on some TV show) saying how, "Kohler has NO seconds--we pulverize anything not perfect."

Remember that old plumbing systems were designed with big slugs of water from high-volume toilets in mind. You might want to retain a few of the older units in strategic locations.
  • Luke Lefever
    Luke Lefever Member Posts: 62
    Options
    BRIGGS VACUITY!!!

You guys are all missing the boat. Briggs Vacuity (Ferguson sells it under the ProFlo moniker). By far the best flushing, non pressure assist toilet ever made. Not cheap however.

I am not impressed with Toto glazing finish. They flush quite well- but the glaze seems to stain and pick up mineral crust easier than other brands.

My $.02- take it for whatever its worth.

Luke Lefever, Lefever Plumbing & Heating, Inc.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options
    Haven't seen one...

sounds quite interesting though. I tend to use the low-flow next to my office for #1 and the old American Standard commercial across the hall (FINICKY to adjust, but flushes and self-cleans GREAT) for #2.

Will be VERY interesting too see how the low-flow toilet I bought in Egypt works when I get it hooked up in the master bath. Like most of Europe, they've been using low-flow toilets for a LONG time. Strange trip mechanism, but the rest of the "guts" are quite standard.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options
    Ferguson

Isn't that the one Al Bundy installed in his "private" bath and got all "misty-eyed" over?
  • acl10
    acl10 Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Whats the best Gerber toilet for a rsidential home

Whats the best Gerber toilet for a rsidential home. I dont care if it costs a little more. I have bad pressure on the 2nd floor
  • acl10
    Options
    Whats the best Gerber toilet for a rsidential home

Whats the best Gerber toilet for a rsidential home. I dont care if it costs a little more. I have bad pressure on the 2nd floor
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Gerber does well...

All three. Maxwell good, Viper better, Avalanche best... Need to get @ a Supply house.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    toilets

Gerber viper, avalanche and their power flush model work well. I have two Toto Drake toilets in my house for over 8 years only once or twice it backed up and did not flush and this is their 1.6 GPF model. Toto now offers 1.28 GPF toilets and they also have dual flush. I also used their slow close toilet seats and they work great I am the only man in a house with 3 females and the slow close makes it real easy for me to put the seat back down so I don't get into trouble.
  • acl10
    Options
    Which are the best Totos

Which Toto models perform the best
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Kohler Wellworth 1.28 GPF

Another result of our hotel testing.  The K-3997/3998/3999 are excellent performers and quiet at 1.28 GPF.  Flushes anything, under 20" wide at the tank and not too pricey.

Oh, and quiet too.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Egyptian toilet ???

How did that toilet work out? Do you have pictures?

I was in Cairo a long time ago, and the toilets were more like a hole in the ground!--NBC
  • Steve_175
    Steve_175 Member Posts: 238
    Options
    Toilet review site

Terry love has a lot to say on the subject.

http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,852
    Options
    testing site

This site seems to have the most comprehensive, frequently updated reports:

http://www.map-testing.com/info/menu/map-seach-info.html
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Options
    Gerber powerflush

Many of the units recommended flush well but the problem is they have a small water spot.

The power flush unit has a full water spot which means you dont have to keep one of those stink brushes aside of your toilet.

I believe TOTO uses some type of slick coating in the bowl but nothing works as well as a large water spot.
  • Steve_175
    Steve_175 Member Posts: 238
    Options
    Toto

I have a toto with the Sana Gloss you speak of and it is great. Really helps keep the toilet cleaner longer.
This discussion has been closed.