Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pex Kinks

Options
Jim Tyrell
Jim Tyrell Member Posts: 3
Can you tell me more about the oxygen barrier? What if it is "lost" in those kinked areas?

Comments

• Kent D.
    Kent D. Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Pex Kinks

Good Morning,

I'm installing a staple-up job on an addition to my home using wirsbo 1/2" pex and their 'joist trac' product. I'm working by myself and the cellar temp. is about 54 degrees. Despite using a heat gun to 'preheat' the tube in tight spots, I have kinked the tube 3 times so far - I've installed about 450 ft. with about 1600 ft. to go. I repaired the kinks using the heat gun as shown in the installation manual. The repair areas look ok, although I've found that it is important to try to relieve any stresses in the tube while the repair is cooling or the tube will 'heal' in a somewhat deformed manner.

Anyway, my question is in regard to the long-term durability of these kinked spots. Has anybody had any problems or call-backs that involved such repairs?

Thank you.

• heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I must ask......

where is your contractor? He should be there to answer and help you with your concerns. I work with DIYers and it's my responsibility to make sure things go smoothly. 4 kinks in 450' sounds like someone didn't show you how to pull the tube through the bays.

The tube will be fine after being heated. The only issue is the oxygen barrier is destroyed in that area. Whether or not it's a big deal, only time will tell.

hb

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    heatboy

The Radiant Whisperer

"The laws of physics will outweigh the laws of ecomomics every time."
  • John Felciano
    John Felciano Member Posts: 411
    Options
    Pex

The oxygen barrier is a thin material applied on the outside of the tubing,it's very simular to the coating on a potato chip bag that keeps your chips fresh,it keeps oxygen from entering into the closed system.Large amounts of oxygen will cause premature failer of ferrous components in the system.

I couldn't tell you how much oxygen is going to enter into the system at the places you repaired the tubing,but I would try and keep the repairs to a minimum.

1/2" tubing can be a little difficult to work into the joist bays.Keep the tubing warm and it will be easier to work with.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • David_5
    David_5 Member Posts: 250
    Options
    o2 barrier

Your PEX may not have an oxygen barrier if it is not needed. What PEX are you using?

David
  • Steve Bergerson
    Steve Bergerson Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Effect of loss of O2 barrier

I talked to the techs at Wirsbo about what effect fixing a kink and losing a portion of the O2 barrier would have on a system.... They responded that the effect would be negligable, even with many repairs.

I wouldn't worry about a little barrier that might have been burned off.
This discussion has been closed.