Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Large pex al pex job

Options
Bill Wright_3
Bill Wright_3 Member Posts: 7
You certainly do nice work ... keep it up!

Bill W.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    Ready for the mud to start flying

6 AM tomorrow, 165 yards, 330 tons of concrete!

I used Wirsbo MultiCor PAP for the entire job. 5/8 for the shop (8000 sq, ft.) and 1/2" for the 1200 sq ft. office. Went down really well. Works very much like rubber. I rolled it out, fastened the loop ends with bar ties, then came back with the cliptie tool. As you near the end of a coil you can take the end back to the manifold and use all the tube without any cutting or ending up with odd lengths. Sweet!

I spent 3 days, a few hours help from Max, and a couple from John Sweeney, thanks guys.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    You're to cool..............

I wanna work for you!Thats a lotta floor brother.Does the clip tool dent the PAP?Real nice layout hot rod.I have a visual of you in those boots and some shorts rolling out that tube:)

cheese............whats gonna run that floor?
  • Paul Cooke
    Paul Cooke Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Clip -tie tool

hr

What can you tell us about the tool you are showing in your picture?

Are those standard nylon zip ties?

Paul
  • hot_rod
    Options
    thanks, cheese

This is about as big as I will tackle. This is a diesel repair shop and the owner insists on a waste oil boiler. Looking seriously at a 350K Clean Burn with a 1500 gallon oil tank. Probably a 50 gallon buffer tank on the boiler to help with the small office zone.

This will be my first ever oil fired of any sort. The dealer sounds real knowledgable, completly opposite of the Reznor rep. Although I was impressed with the Reznor/ Buderus package.

I may have to fly one of you oilheads out to help me with the install and start up!

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    I've had (SE)

Excellent results with all of the Clean Burn units I have installed. One unit is in a die shop/service area that routinely runs 2000 hours between service checkups. The trick with any waste oil unit is to set up, or help the owner set up, a good filtration system for the waste oil.

In this particular shop they store their oil in 55 gallon drums. After getting approval from the owner I had his guys weld up a stand to hold the barrels above the tank horizontaly. The barrel is positioned above a waterfall type settling tank that we also made. It measures roughly 18" wide by 42" long and is 16" tall. It's built like a stairs with each "step" being about 8" long. The oil is poured into the first step, rises up to the top of that chamber then flows into the next one, This allows gunk and suspended crap in the oil to settle out as it falls from one "step" to another. The oil coming out of the last step has had time to let all the heavy particles settle out while it headed downstream so to speak. Don't know if you can picture that in your mind from my meager description but it works great. Have fun Hot Rod, looks great as usual.

PS: what is the stuff you are using for sleeving the tube where it comes out of the cement?
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    very neat

HR. I'm wondering too what the sleeve material is that you used. I'm going to purchase the clip tie tools soon..I believe Watts makes it? When I was up at the Munchkin factory, they were building a huge facility across the street-all radiant. Something like 40,000 feet of tubing. Half the floor was poured, and the guys were laying out tubing for the other half using that tool. Just 2 guys, but they had it down like clockwork..I was impressed. They said the tool works pretty good..jams once in a while, but that still is better than grinding your knees to the bone..

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
    Options
    Nice.....

Nice looking job, Hot Rod. It's hard to believe you can tackle a job this big working by yourself. What is the orange (Watts?) pipe for? -DF
  • Michael B
    Michael B Member Posts: 179
    Options
    go here

http://www.wattsradiant.com/012501.html

Sold two of these to a contractor doing a large slab job. He told me the tool payed for itself in labor after the first job.

Michael Bleier
    Able Distributors
    www.abledistributors.com
    The Supplier Who Works With You"
  • hot_rod
    Options
    more info

The Clip Tie wraps a plastic tie around the tube and wire or rebar. It doesn't grip tight which allows the tube to float up off the mesh or bar when the concrete is poured. It works best when the mesh runs paralell to the tube. Works fast when you get the hang of it. The tool saved me a good days worth ($1,000.00) of bending over or kneeling to tie off the tube.

Dan, the pipe wrap comes from Vanguard. Pre slit comes in several different sizes. Looks a lot like the wrap around wires on your truck wiring. The orange Watts tube runs to a remote manifold for the office zone.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Reclaimed oil

HR, nice job!! You may want to talk to Chris Rorke at Blueline Supply (jackson Hole, WY.). He has some very cool oil filters by Oventrop that may be applicable. He's also one of the most knowlegeable oil engineers in N. America. Don't be afraid to pick his brains. He's also a Buderus dealer (and consultant)I've done several oil reclaim burners and filtering is the key.
    Paul

• Paul Cooke
    Paul Cooke Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Thanks

hr

Thanks for taking the time and effort to share your experiences at this site. It is very much appreciated.

This tool is gonna save quite a few backaches. Too bad Mother's Day just passed. It would've made a great gift.

Paul
This discussion has been closed.