Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mass. smoke pipe rating

Options
jrc2905
jrc2905 Member Posts: 98
Can anyone tell me what the smoke pipe gauge is in Ma. for venting a oil heat system. What is the differance for smoke pipe and warm air pipe, and how do you tell by looking at a fitting. Thanks

Comments

• Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options
    Smoke Pipe Gauge

Actually it should be called exhaust pipe, oil doesn't smoke if it is running right. The gauge is 26, you will often see a number 6 26, 7 26 etc. The 6 or 7 would be the diameter` the 26 is the gauge. Round pipe in duct work is, I believe 30 gauge. It is much lighter and thinner. I have seen the lighter gauge mistakenly used for exhaust and it only lasts a year or two.

Leo
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
    smoke pipe gauge

leo is correct 26 gauge for oil burning systems 30 gauge for duct work

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • munchkin-man
    munchkin-man Member Posts: 247
    Options
    Smoke pipe for flue gas venting must be 26 GA.in MA.

I have seen home owners buying it at home depo the problem is they do not stock 26 ga it is only 30 ga. Buyer be ware.
  • Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Options
    NFPA 211 is the code

concerned here including MA.

It goes like this:
    If the fluepipe is less than 6" it may be 26 gauge.
    If the fluepipe is 6"-10" it must be 24 gauge.
    If the fluepipe is 10"-16" it must be 22 gauge.
    If the fluepipe is 16" or more it must be 16 gauge and may be welded. But, access doors must be provided.

This is a big issue getting bigger among insurance companies and a great way to get them off the hook and put you on it for not following code. As an expert I currently have three cases where heating contractors (oil co's too) will lose their cases and insurance due this oversight.

Please keep in mind that you are required to know the codes and laws in your jurisdiction and 'ignorance is no excuse', FACT!

Look at our website for current code seminars coming up this summer. www.FiredragonEnt.com
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options
    George Is this in the CMR 4 Guide

I have the third edition and can't find it.

Thanks,
    Leo
  • Firedragon_4
    Options
    Nope, it's in NFPA211 that

is the chimney code for all 50 states and MA too! We added pertinent data from 211 in the 4th Edition including the chart that covers this. You can order it from our website, www.FiredragonEnt.com
  • chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    Options
    Just to be sure

is that total length of smoke pipe? or do they take into account fittings counting for a certin amount of feet? I guess I have been venting gas units with PVC and stainless for too long.

thanks,

Chuck

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John Abbott
    John Abbott Member Posts: 356
    Options
    Chimney code?

In N.H. we are bound by nfpa 31 I can find no reference in the R.S.A.s that refer to nfpa 211 which I believe is a chimney code.Please correct me if I am wrong.I believe we are one of the "other 50 states you refered to".?

John
  • Firedragon_4
    Options
    In NH you are bound by all of the NFPA's

since the state adopted NFPA1.
    You need several NFPA's for oil including 31 and 211.
  • Firedragon_4
    Options
    Gauge of the pipe

has nothing to do with length. All of the pipe and fiitings must comform and that's for gas too!

NFPA211 covers all liquid, gaseous and solid fuels.
  • chuck shaw
    Options
    What????

in the post above,weren't gauge of the exahust pipe, and length your point? Did I miss something?

Chuck

• Firedragon_4
    Options
    Hi Chuck,

nope, maybe you just got confused.

When I call out the 6" or less etc., that's a diameter.

Length is irrelevent in most calculations, except that it may not exceed more than 75% of the height of the chimney. So with a 20' chimney you may not have more than a 15' length of chimney connector (fluepipe).

Sorry if the confusion was on my part.
  • chuck shaw
    Options
This discussion has been closed.