Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiant ultra-fin

Options
has anyone tried this system yet? it is the system where you rivet aluminum fins around the pex in a suspended tube job for more heat output. does anyone see any problems with this method. i'm thinking of using this on my next job. bob
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    You have to love...........

drilling holes and running 180° through PEX if you use this stuff. I hate doing both, so..............

hb

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• John Abbott
    John Abbott Member Posts: 356
    Options
    I love...........

Drilling holes I have two "super Hawgs" and I run pex at 200 degrees suppyling fin tube on a daily basis so " I ain't afraid"

John
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    I hoid..............

that the tube is installed on 3' centers.If you are a believer of suspended this will keep the tubing low enough to avoid flooring nail puncture.The temps will be high as heatboy points out.I also heard it works.End result is numbers do'nt lie.So if designed right it'll work.

Personally speaking I'm still on the side of the fence that joist bay heating needs the lowest temp.For that matter that is what all RFH needs.Systems like "Ultra-Fin" work when designed correctly(again).BUT.............If floor coverings change extruded plates have a large edge.You can adjust the water temps higher.Once the suspended and staple ups are in and running then your gonna supplement.I would suggest a constant circulation and reset stradegy for this system.

cheese
  • David Van Wickler
    David Van Wickler Member Posts: 35
    Options
    Playing around with water temperatures - not me

You have to "thread the needle" or pull the entire loop through each and every hole. NT's.

Plus rivet the two flashing pieces - the flashing is for convection? Doesn't convection happen all by itself? Natural convection smothers itself fairly quickly in the joist bay (reason for a air gap), hence the need for high water supply temperatures. Also, look at the claimed water supply temperatures versus heat output.

It is a novel idea!

I remember a heated argument (no pun) between a leather vested individual and a leather mouthed engineer (guess who). The engineer gave up by throwing his hands in the air and saying, "you've changed thermodynamics by God - your a genius!"

Got a rock for sale - makes a great pet!

DVW
  • John Abbott
    Options
    I agree........

> You have to "thread the needle" or pull the

> entire loop through each and every hole. NT's.

> Plus rivet the two flashing pieces - the flashing

> is for convection? Doesn't convection happen all

> by itself? Natural convection smothers itself

> fairly quickly in the joist bay (reason for a air

> gap), hence the need for high water supply

> temperatures. Also, look at the claimed water

> supply temperatures versus heat output.

>

> It is

> a novel idea!

>

> I remember a heated argument

> (no pun) between a leather vested individual and

> a leather mouthed engineer (guess who). The

> engineer gave up by throwing his hands in the air

> and saying, "you've changed thermodynamics by God

> - your a genius!"

>

> Got a rock for sale - makes

> a great pet!

>

> DVW

• John Abbott
    Options
    I agree.........

It is not practical to" thread the needle" as you put it but drilling holes or running pex at 180 degrees is not the problem IMO the logistics are.

John
This discussion has been closed.