Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 pipe oil

Options
nick z.
nick z. Member Posts: 157
Underground oil tank, 2 pipe oil system. the house had a fire and G.C. removed the old boiler. Now I have 2 capped off lines and no way to know which was the feed and which was the return. I realize if both lines go to the bottom it won't matter which is which. Does anybody have a good way to identify which one is which? Thanx

Comments

• John@Reliable_2
    John@Reliable_2 Member Posts: 104
    Options
    Better safe than sorry!

I would dig them up and replace w/new feed line and use a "Tigerloop" and avoid the use of a return line. Most oil leaks are from return lines than anything else. I'm sure this is not what you wanted to hear, but remember once you touch it you own it.Better safe than sorry!P.S. use a covered oil line. John@Reliable
  • t.c. (tsbc)
    t.c. (tsbc) Member Posts: 6
    Options

With Co2 or soda charges and a blow gun. You can blow the lines while someone listens into the stick well. Bubbles will be a deep one & the one that sounds like a race-horse pissing than farting is the high one (return). If you here nothing from one of them and its an old tank you mite have found a foot valve ( check valve at the bottom of the tank), then you will need an old timmer with a draw pump or a youngster with a shovel. good luck
  • sootmonkey
    sootmonkey Member Posts: 158
    Options
    tank

in maine, underground residental oil tanks have been banned. i can only guess that it was because they problems with them. you may want to remove your underground tank.
  • Edward A. Carey
    Edward A. Carey Member Posts: 48
    Options
    Underground oil tank

Do you know how old the tank is?

Ed Carey
This discussion has been closed.