Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Never-ending project nears completion

Options
A few problems of course:

1) Mis-alignment between 2nd & 3rd course from top in glass block. Planned, measured and built that thing to the nth degree but STILL wound off by the width of a mortar joint. Have been one beer away from grinder or sledgehammer at least twice.

2) Goofed planning for top dark course--everything hinged on keeping all penetrations in the shower well away from grout joints and it wound up 1 1/4" above the bottom of the glass block.

3) Tile miters are off as much as 3mm and "pyramid" off by 3/16". Makes me sick that the real pyramids have similar tolerances over 100s of feet...

"Blank" spot in front of tub hole is where a gravity-anchored tiled storage unit will sit. It will "lip over" the tub deck a bit and be sealed with colored plumber's putty (at least I hope I can mix universal tints into plumber's putty). Tore myself up over that one as there seems to be no truly good way to make a tile service access panel.

Big open hole in wall (beside hole for mirror over sink) is mechanical/storage area. Steam generator there with tile floor w/drain into shower when the inevitable leak occurs. Layout forced me to slope shower ceiling lengthwise and didn't want condensate going down either the glass block or control wall so tiled in a "break" about 8" away from control wall.

Was quite concerned with humidity removal from steam shower--particularly with all of the recessed lighting that can't be sealed. Ceiling insulated with rigid foam and intentional air flow throughout. Dedicated fans (exhaust AND fresh air) will be operated via the steam generator automatic drain/purge valve. Should be sweet if it works as planned.

"Door" to closet/mechanical area will look for all the world like an inswing casement window--either stained glass or some mirrored trickery to look like it's on an outside wall.

"Bronzed" radiator looks right at home methinks! MANY completely independent heat sources in this bathroom and little infiltration so I should be able to make some VERY interesting comparisons.

This is likely the most complex, expensive and longest-running project of my life. Has taken years just to accumulate materials, but at least they're all paid for.

Comments

• Tom Simensen
    Tom Simensen Member Posts: 74
    Options
    Beautiful Job!

That is probably the nicest looking bathroom I have ever seen! and I have seen a lot of bathrooms.

The only thing I saw out of place was a pair of Sandals in the shower. You should be very proud! Tom
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    nice!

Of courc for me the inevitable question is... what is the size/model of the water heater that supplies that carwash?kpc
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Thanks. 110-gal Reliance (no I hadn't heard of it either) natural gas w/1" connections.

Found at buyout/closeout/seconds store as it was dropped on its bottom. Dirt cheap and it was no big deal to fix. Uses a lot less gas than the old 50 gal unit it replaced.

Lots of sprays in that shower but all are controlled in banks and individually. I'm really the 3-minute shower type most of the time--what I truly look forward to is "my" HIGH shower head--am 6'3" and have never been able to put my head under without ducking.

Heater should be able to handle any reasonable demand--running out only means your shower is WAY too long...
  • Tom Simensen
    Tom Simensen Member Posts: 74
    Options

I just had to take another look. I hope you will share the finished photos when you are done with your project.
This discussion has been closed.